Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sergers/Overlocks/Coverlocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sergers-overlocks-coverlocks-t55777.html)

Ginger2010 07-22-2010 05:39 PM

Does anybody know whether a Husqvarna Viking and a Pfaff Serger/overlock/coverlock are made by the same company? Or does anyone have any recommendation advice on purchasing either Viking or Pfaff? I have arthritis in my thumbs and also can't see very well up close and have troubles threading my Brother 834DP. Haven't hardly used it and it sets in the box all the time. If anyone have any of the computerized sergers, please respond. Thank you,
Ginger2010

leaha 07-22-2010 06:08 PM

I don't know if they are all made by same co or not. Have heard that Viking bought Pfaff.
I have a PfAFF COVER LOCK serger and I hardly use it, have only made three things with it in the past year I have had it. WOULD I buy it now knowing what I know now? nope. but my sister of my heart wore out 4 sergers she used them so much. So you have to ask how much will you use it and will it be worth the cost to you. No one else can answer that for you. hope this helps

Ginger2010 07-22-2010 06:16 PM

Leaha, Thanks for the advice. Is your serger a computerized one that has the automatic threading? I'm not sure how much I will use it, but would like to have one that I can thread and maybe I would use it. I use to sew alot when I could see better. Now I am trying the embroidery thing and messing with the quilts. Years ago, I made my mom and dad and my husbands mom and dad, a charm square quilt for their anniversaries. Those were my first. At the time, all I knew was that I was sewing the squares together in rows and made queen size quilts for them. They loved them. I wish I would have purchased better fabrics. My parents and in-laws are now all gone. I have the quilt that mom had and it needs some repairs.

anniec55 07-22-2010 06:23 PM

I would think between the arthritist and sight problem you would be wise to seriously consider one that threads automatically. Just my opinion from wrestling to thread mi

lab fairy 07-22-2010 06:24 PM

I own a Pfaff total mechanical serger that I wouldn't trade for anything and it is pretty easy to thread. I bought it for garment sewing and have sewn the snot out of it. It is still hanging in there. I haven't felt the need for a coverlock and computerized sergers were not around when I purchased so it wasn't a consideration. I never felt the need to trade up for a different one. I may have to change my mind if/when parts become scarce.

Ginger2010 07-22-2010 06:30 PM

You're right! That is what I am thinking also! Just never had any other serger than the Brother. I bought it at an auction and it was fairly new! I have a Pfaff 1475CD and a Pfaff Creative 2140/2170 upgraded Embroidery machine. I really like the Pfaffs! But after watching alot of Sue Hausman's programs, I'm getting hooked on Husqvarna Viking!

lab fairy 07-22-2010 07:19 PM

Not having any shows to watch is probably good for me. There are no sewing programs on in my area anymore. :) I see several ladies using Vikings in my sewing group and they like their machines as well. I've never sewn on one but I have used the Viking software for my embroidery unit. It is much more user friendly than the Pfaff version I had been using. Pfaff has since upgraded a LOT of their embroidery software so I can't speak to how well those work.

Ginger2010 07-22-2010 07:23 PM

I have just recently purchased Pfaff 3D Suite Software from Ebay. Haven't got to use it much yet tho! Had the grandsons (age 5 and 2) down and can't do much sewing with them around. They like to help too much! lol

candlequilter 07-22-2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ginger2010
I have just recently purchased Pfaff 3D Suite Software from Ebay. Haven't got to use it much yet tho! Had the grandsons (age 5 and 2) down and can't do much sewing with them around. They like to help too much! lol

When you figure out the 3D suite software you can help me I have been trying to figure out how to make quilt labels on mine all night.

leaha 07-25-2010 07:43 PM

I have a Pfaff 7570 embroidery/sewing machine, but I do not have the 3D softwear . I LOVE my machine!
about my serger, it has the one thing I had to have auto tension, I hate playing with the tension! When I learned how to sew we were threatened with all kinds of foul things to happen to us if we touched the tension. I still have a peoblem touching it, LOL