Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seriously is it just me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seriously-just-me-t258022.html)

Ariannaquilts 12-10-2014 08:33 AM

Seriously is it just me?

I read all these posts about buying sewing machines for thousands of dollars and I wonder what is it about that machine that you would spend that kind of money for it? Are you using it for something other than piecing and FMQ, I guess I just think why wouldn't you buy a long arm machine at least it would pay for itself in the long run. A friend of mine bought a brand new Bernina that she put on a frame and uses it as a long arm it's too heavy to take on and off the frame so I just don't get it. I know you all will be able to help me understand. TIA.

tessagin 12-10-2014 08:46 AM

Some just don't have the budget for it at the time. Some don't have the space. Every situation is different. Some machines can be a little more technical than others want to get into. Seriously, it all boils down to many factors. Some people will never understand. It's also just a matter of preference. Some with larger machines are in it for the money, maybe their only source of income, therefore the larger machines. Again every situation is different. Not hard for most people to understand.

Nammie to 7 12-10-2014 08:56 AM

Why? I don't have room for a long arm machine and have no interest in quilting for others even if I did have the room. I want to experience everything my machine can do from piecing a quilt, sewing heirloom garments, machine embroidery and quilting. I figure after raising a family, and working most of my life I deserve it!

lynnie 12-10-2014 08:59 AM

some people just have a lot of money to spend on something so it's a machine. I have a handful of machines. I have an emb only machine, a sew only that I use mainly, a serger that needs to be fixed. for clothing and such. For years I sewed without a serger. it was gifted to me. I use a cheap $199 machine. it sews ag good as a more expensive one. I do use my fancy stitches all the time.

Tartan 12-10-2014 09:17 AM

I bought my Bernina 440 with the BSR because I wanted it and I figured it would be my last machine. Is it a lot of money, sure but I figure I'm worth it.

PatPitter 12-10-2014 09:24 AM

I have no interest in a long-arm and don't have room for one. I paid $1000 for my Pfaff in 1998. Have never regretted that decision. I like the extra features, special stitches, and the quality of the machine. Before that I sewed on a $200 Kenmore and hated it. I also have a Viking Mega Quilter that I love and a Viking Quilt Designer that I sort of love (except for it having a problem right now).

My mother said she paid $300 for her Singer in 1955. In today's dollars that is equivalent to about $2,100.

Right now I don't have the funds to buy an expensive machine but I don't regret the ones I bought when I did have the money.

We all have different priorities.

Billi 12-10-2014 09:27 AM

We all have a different line in the sand of what is worth it and what is "no way that's too much." Sometimes it has to do with actual budget as in "I cant afford that" or maybe it's "I can afford it but can't justify it to myself" and other times its about "I can afford it I want it it dosen't bother me to spend for it.". My machine is a good quality brand at a decent price I could afford in cash and justify to myself knowing I would never regret spending that money on it. I drooled over one almost 3 times as much but just could not justify it to myself. I do not like buying things on credit and I would have had to in order to buy the other machine. But that's me and my husbands choice in the way we do things it works for us. FYI I do not regret my decision but I still drool over that machine every time I go in there.

However when it comes to fabric I love to buy good quality if I can get it on sale then awesome if not but its what I want I'll pay 7.50 9.00 or even 12.00a yard and won't blink an eye. where others would never dream of paying those prices no matter how perfect the fabric is, for the same reasons stated above. Do I buy less if I'm paying the higher prices? Oh absolutly but I made a conscience decision to spend that part of my budget on less fabric.

Everybody has a budget and we all decided where we are comfortable allocating the bulk of our "fun" money. Is it the fancy pants machine, or the fabric? Is it the sewing room itself or the furniture in it? Is it a boat or a travel trailor?

Its almost impossible to understand someone else's reasons for what they buy and at what cost just because it's not worth it to me or you dosen't mean it's not to them.

Neesie 12-10-2014 09:34 AM

For many years, I sewed on a Sears Kenmore (bought in 1977). After quilting a twin-sized quilt on it, I began longing for a machine with a wider throat. It wasn't until years after that, when my trusty Kenmore starting giving me trouble, that I seriously began thinking of spending the extra money for my 'dream' machine. Kept putting it off, until my husband finally convinced me to just go ahead and splurge on myself . . . so I bought a Janome 7700 (and LOVE it). Yes, it cost more money than I'd ordinarily spend on a machine . . . but dh and I are very careful with our spending and no one had to go without food, as a result of my purchase. We don't take expensive vacations, if we take a vacation at all. I'm now in my 60s and if not now, when?

Abby'smom 12-10-2014 10:02 AM

:) to each his own, or whatever -- I piece on a 1978 Kenmore, wind bobbins on a 1990 Singer, and quilt on a 1932 Singer 15-91 -- it works for me -- I think I would be intimidated by a $$$$ machine with all the bells and whistles and the required maintenance and its computer etc.-- and I don't want a LA or have room for one!! -- but that's just me!!

MarionsQuilts 12-10-2014 10:30 AM

My first sewing machine (OK, not my very first LOL) was a Huskvarna Sapphire. I loved it, used it for a year, but wanted more. So I traded it in for a Husqvarna Topaz30 - Embroidery, Quilting, fancy stitches, does everything but the dishes.

I LOVE my machine.

I'm not married, don't have kids, and make good money. So why wouldn't I want to buy something that gives me great pleasure to sew a fabulous quilt, put some embroidery on it, be able to quilt it at home ...

I have very few things that I take pleasure in, and one of them is quilting!