Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sesquicentennial WBTS (1860s) quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sesquicentennial-wbts-1860s-quilts-t94092.html)

redkimba 01-26-2011 11:17 AM

This is a blog on making Civil War inspired quilts. http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/

Description: The blocks and stories here are drawn from my publications over the years. Each week you'll get a free pattern for an 8" block and links to find out more. You don't sign up; there's no downloading. Everything is on the blog. I'll leave the blocks up all year so you can access them once they're posted.

I'm hoping to do this once I get things settled a bit; I have an entire wardrobe to re-do....

thepolyparrot 01-26-2011 11:47 AM

I am following this blog and was wondering if anyone else was, too. :)

Two of the blocks have been reallllllly hard to do! Those are my favorite blocks, though - the difficult ones are the ones that make us better at quilting, right? :)

I put a clear tote bag of CW era FQ's and scraps next to my main machine so that every Saturday, I can just pull stuff out of there and make the block.

I don't think anyone knows more than Barbara Brackman about quilt block history or American textiles - the block patterns are great, but the historical notes are super interesting!

It's also great fun to be able to see how everyone else puts fabrics together to make the same block pattern. There's a flickr group for posting photos and discussions of the weekly blocks.

greensleeves 01-26-2011 04:16 PM

Bookmarked this, don't know when I'll do it but civil war quilts are a weakness. Completed one last year and have 3 more WIP of civil war.

thepolyparrot 01-26-2011 05:38 PM

Oh, terrific! Do you have pictures of your CW quilts up on the net anywhere?

This will be my first one. (assuming, of course, that I manage to get through the whole year - a BIG assumption. ;) )

I wanted to join a BOM at my LQS, but I didn't want to pay that much for something I might quit in two months. Following this blog, I can at least see if I can manage to stick to this. If I do, maybe I will later commit to a BOM kit thing.

I wasn't crazy about CW era repros at first, but then I saw some gorgeous pinks and aquas and purples and yellows and reds and realized that CW doesn't mean "all brown and drab." I got addicted really quick. :)

redkimba 01-27-2011 12:13 PM

Oh, no - this is the era of the new aniline (sp?) dyes so you have some colors that will burn your retinas.

Also, you can blend colors that normally you would not EVER put together. I have an 1876 etiquette book that suggests which ones to put together & it just blew my mind. (brown & orange, seriously???)

Maia B 01-27-2011 12:52 PM

Redkimba, thank you so much for this blog. My mom and I are following it. The desire to make a Civil War style quilt is getting my mom back into quilting after several years away. She has transcribed an ancestor's Civil War diary and I wanted to surprise her with one as a thank you gift, but now we are going to do it together. She's a blogger and she admires your blog. Your writing is top notch.

redkimba 01-27-2011 06:28 PM

Maia B - um.. this is not my blog; just one I found from another group. :)

Maia B 01-27-2011 07:27 PM

Redkimba, your post was in the first person and not in quotes, so I assumed that the "I" in the post was you. I'd read about that blog on QB previously, it's great!

geosprouter 01-27-2011 07:51 PM

I just found this blog on Sunday, I have started on the first block. I am new to quilting so this should be interesting but I think I will learn a lot - The history is interesting...

geosprouter 01-27-2011 07:51 PM

I just found this blog on Sunday, I have started on the first block. I am new to quilting so this should be interesting but I think I will learn a lot - The history is interesting...

sorry posted twice :(