Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Setting stitch length for FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/setting-stitch-length-fmq-t194584.html)

jaspersu 07-14-2012 06:57 AM

Setting stitch length for FMQ?

Why does it matter what the machine's stitch length setting is? If the feed dogs are down, and you determine the stitch length by how you move the quilt, what difference does changing the stich length setting make?

I just wonder because I don't seem to get different results if I forget about changing the default stitch length to zero.

Skittl1321 07-14-2012 06:59 AM

I don't change my stitch length.

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2012 07:02 AM

I don't change my stitch length either. When I took my FMQ class at my LQS, the instructor said that once you drop the feed dogs, there is no stitch length or tension. So I don't mess with either one!

Skittl1321 07-14-2012 07:12 AM

There is definetly still tension. I do play with mine a lot, and that does
change things. The tension discs have no relation to.the feed dogs.

But most problems aren't really tension problems but needle speed/hand speed problems.

nativetexan 07-14-2012 07:17 AM

they used to say set it at zero, now it doesnt' seem to matter to some teachers. i took a class and we never bothered about it. nor lowered the feed dogs. I usually do though. your moving the quilt dictates the length of the stitch. too slow the stitch will be long, too fast, very short.

alisonquilts 07-14-2012 07:26 AM

Neither of my sewing machines can drop their feed dogs, so I have to set the stitch length to zero (so the 'dogs don't move and grab my material). Even thought the 'dogs are covered by a blank plate on my main machine, when I'm doing FMQ I still don't want them moving.

I've never used a machine with feed dogs that drop, so I can't speak to that situation.

Alison

jaspersu 07-14-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts (Post 5363829)
Neither of my sewing machines can drop their feed dogs, so I have to set the stitch length to zero (so the 'dogs don't move and grab my material). Even thought the 'dogs are covered by a blank plate on my main machine, when I'm doing FMQ I still don't want them moving.

I've never used a machine with feed dogs that drop, so I can't speak to that situation.

Alison

Ah, okay. I just checked on what my machine does. If the stich length is not set to zero, the feed dogs move even though they are dropped. I guess I don't need the feed dogs to be down there getting a "work out" in the dropped position, even though it doesn't change the FMQ results.

sewgray 07-14-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5363767)
I don't change my stitch length either. When I took my FMQ class at my LQS, the instructor said that once you drop the feed dogs, there is no stitch length or tension. So I don't mess with either one!

There is no stitch length but definetly there is tension and it's very important for it to be "right". Usually tighten mine a notch or two.

Stitchnripper 07-14-2012 09:38 AM

My feed dogs don't drop either, so I set the stitch length at zero so they don't move. so far so good.

Sandra in Minnesota 07-14-2012 11:42 AM

Stitch length at zero and don't mess with the feed dogs.