Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing after Surgery, have you done it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-after-surgery-have-you-done-t59084.html)

quilterguy27 08-12-2010 12:12 PM

OK, good news. I just got off the phone with the doctor and after some gentle persueding and promising to take it easy I've been cleared to cut fabric as long as I'm sitting down and it's okay to operate my sewing machine. Woo Hoo!! I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!! Wrote a song about it, like to hear it, here it goes: I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!!! LOL

Now, off to the sewing room and see what I can get into.

farmerswife 08-12-2010 12:19 PM

I dont really have any ideas ...just wanted to say I am glad you are doing well. I would call my Dr. and ask though before I did anything.

JenniePenny 08-12-2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
OK, good news. I just got off the phone with the doctor and after some gentle persueding and promising to take it easy I've been cleared to cut fabric as long as I'm sitting down and it's okay to operate my sewing machine. Woo Hoo!! I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!! Wrote a song about it, like to hear it, here it goes: I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!!! LOL

Happy Day! I wish I could be your sewing helper for a day or two. I love cutting! Love pressing!

Tink's Mom 08-12-2010 12:47 PM

This is a perfect time of year to get that adjustable office chair...with all the back to school sales...I saw some at Walmart and at office Max this week...CHEAP!!!
I change the height on mine all the time, because of my back.

nativetexan 08-12-2010 01:06 PM

oh shoot. can someone raise your sewing machine table temporarily? so you wouldn't have to "hunch" over so much.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-12-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27

Oh that's great!! I bet you'll heal faster now that you can do something you enjoy!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

BRenea 08-12-2010 01:42 PM

I had to have my spleen and gallbladder removed in early 2008...my spleen was very enlarged, so I had a 10-inch incision down my abdomen. I was extremely sore and my doctor strictly limited what I could do. I had just bought a brand new sewing/embroidery machine, so I did sit down with it for very short periods of time. I agree that an adjustable office chair is very helpful. I also spent a lot of time with handcrafts and my laptop. :-)

paloma 08-12-2010 02:14 PM

i set to do most of my cutting,back problems also my machine is up no problems but thats the way i have done for a long time so tryit you might change the way you do .

MZStitch 08-12-2010 02:40 PM

You sound like me, I can't just sit and rest, I have to do something with my hands!! Personally, I'd use this time for hand applique, as it's a favorite thing of mine. But if you have no hand work home than use this time to plan future projects! Look through magazines, books on hand, and surf the internet for future ideas. You could even order fabric online. Follow your Doctors advice, as you don't want this 6 week period turning into 12!!
On the bright side, sounds like you're doing well if you're so restless!!! I hope you continue to have a nice recovery.

cindyg 08-12-2010 03:10 PM

Good for you - you got the doctor's OK but remember that you have to take it easy. I think you should take a break and stand up and move around every 20 minutes or so. I'm glad you are on the mend.