Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing the backing of your quilt together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-backing-your-quilt-together-t187713.html)

AudreyB 04-30-2012 08:12 PM

I sew the back with a 1" seam then go back and trim the selvage off. It's easier for me to sew and then trim than it is to trim and then sew.

jeemmerling621 05-01-2012 04:30 AM

I sew with about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" seam and clip and rip. Because the selvage is along the length of grain, which has no give like cross grain or bias grain, it will always rip straight. Another thing i do is cut the fabric in half WOF then sew the two big pieces together along the selvages. rip off the selvages and clip one of the big pieces along the length of grain then rip that too. Backs just go so quickly if you just grit your teeth and rip :). Good luck!

mighty 05-01-2012 06:41 AM

I alway remove the selvedges.

susie-susie-susie 05-01-2012 06:44 AM

I always cut the selvage off. It puckers when you wash it if you don't. I usually sew the pieces together and then cut the selvage off later. I also sew with at least 1/2 in. seam. Looks like great mind work the same!!!
Sue

sherryl57 05-02-2012 04:27 AM

I agree with the rip answer.Also,you need a good 1/2 in seam allowance.I'm a long armer,and the 1/2 in. seam allowence keeps the seam from popping up when you quilt it.You don't have enough control over the seam. At 1/4 in.,they almost stand at attention if they are only 1/4 in..Press the seams open.That is important also.They stay very flat that way.Good luck,take your time.

duckydo 05-02-2012 04:52 AM

I agree with everyone else, cut the selvage off

amandasgramma 05-02-2012 05:00 AM

I asked the same question on a longarm forum. The answers I got was to leave them on the OUTSIDE edge of the backing. If you sew the backing together (say one long seam down the middle) leave them on until you have it sewn, then cut it off. I now sew that seam with a 1" allowance, then trim to 1/2"...I then iron the seam open.

QM 05-02-2012 05:01 AM

Yes, get rid of those pesky selvages. They have a different density than the body of the fabric and will give you major problems later. I snip and tear the narrowest possible selvage, (doing a very small sample first, as some fabrics don't tear nicely.) but at the last minute, so they won't have loose threads to get in my way. For very large quilts, however, I often prefer to buy extra large backing fabrics. I sometimes buy them on sales at very low prices.

anita211 05-02-2012 05:16 AM

I always cut the selvage off. It shrinks at differently than the fabric. I use 1/2" seams. And tear it. You get strings, but you have a nice long strip.

Anita in Northfield, MN

jamsbuying 05-02-2012 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L (Post 5183289)
I cut the selvedges off. I fold my fabric and use my 6x24 ruler and my rotary cutter to cut it. As long as your edges are even and you check to make sure the folded fabric is laying squarely on the cutting mat you have one long even cut. Good Luck!

Exactly what I do, same as Rose.