Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing binding with invisible thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-binding-invisible-thread-t268993.html)

jillmc 08-20-2015 06:59 AM

Sewing binding with invisible thread?

Working on a project that needs to be done....big girl quilt for grand's 4th birthday....so this isn't going to be a show piece-just a very well loved (I hope!) hugs-from-Grammy-quilt.

I would like to try machine stitching the binding with invisible thread. Naturally, I made this decision after first sewing the binding to the front of the quilt. Drats! When googling for info, I think I needed to sew the binding to the back side of the quilt first. I want to use white thread in the bobbin.....so.....should the invisible thread be on the top of the quilt, or the bottom?

Do I need to do anything differently regarding tension with the invisible thread? I found a full spool of June Taylor inv. thread in my supplies-it's been there many years, I'm sure! I am going to sew a sample seam and see how it does with an iron, but I don't expect an iron will touch this quilt after it is gifted.

Thank you!!!

newbee3 08-20-2015 07:03 AM

put matching thread on the top and your invisible in the bobbin

meyert 08-20-2015 07:09 AM

I have always wondered this myself, I am glad you asked

cmilton 08-20-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 7291921)
put matching thread on the top and your invisible in the bobbin

I didn't know you could but invisible thread in the bobbin. What kind?

Dollyo 08-20-2015 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Project Linus doesn't allow the use of invisible thread on their quilts, because the kids can wrap it around their fingers and you can't easily see it. I have used it on top and bottom when doing free standing lace embroidery. Try using a decorative stitch w/a colorful thread to stitch the binding on. Here's a couple that I have done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528316[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]528317[/ATTACH]

quilterpurpledog 08-20-2015 12:53 PM

I have done binding by machine numerous times. I usually stitch it on the back and turn it to the front. My key to success is to press it very carefully after the first stitching being sure to press toward the binding. Then, when I turn it to the front all goes well and looks straight-especially it you use thread to match. I cannot help but think you could follow the same procedure if doing it after you stitched to the front first. I would recommend not using invisible thread because of danger to little fingers if the ends pull out. I would use a simple decorative stitch on the front 'just in case'. Good luck.

donnajean 08-20-2015 01:00 PM

I use YLI Wonder Invisible sewing binding to the front 1st with the same thread in the bobbin. After pressing and turning binding to the back, I pin and stitch the binding down from the front, checking regularly to make sure I'm catching the edge of the binding on the back. I have a favorite #17 stitch on my Viking Rose that I use.

ManiacQuilter2 08-20-2015 02:05 PM

I too would would consider doing a decorative stitching. I just don't trust mono-filament (but then I used the nylon fishing line from the 80s). The binding takes most of the brutal wear and tear and is usually the first things to show wear. Dollyo, nice stitching on the binding.

M.Elizabeth 08-20-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7292301)
I too would would consider doing a decorative stitching. I just don't trust mono-filament (but then I used the nylon fishing line from the 80s). The binding takes most of the brutal wear and tear and is usually the first things to show wear.

My sentiments exactly!

Krisb 08-20-2015 05:34 PM

If I am going to machine sew the binding (which I don't do often, because I actually enjoy hand sewing binding), it is always a two color binding with the flange. Here is a great tute.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html