Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Binding On Quilts Without Getting Puckers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-binding-quilts-without-getting-puckers-t265438.html)

sinceresissy 05-21-2015 04:52 AM

Sewing Binding On Quilts Without Getting Puckers

I have been quilting for several years and I didn't have this problem in the early days but now I keep getting puckers in the quilt edge when I sew the binding on. I have always just laid the binding on the right side of the quilt and sewed it on with 1/4 seam. Lately I have taken to ironing the edge of the quilt to flatten it down and I thought that helped but with this last quilt I still had two little puckers. I hand quilt and I thought it might be because I was quilting all the way to the edge so on the last two quilts I left an 1-1/2" inch area with not stitches. I am so lazy I don't want to stay stitch but I will if it will help. I don't know if starching the edge would help either. I am alway excited to finish up and maybe I am rushing too much. Any suggestions?

Geri B 05-21-2015 05:15 AM

First thought.....are you using a walking foot? Is your top tension maybe too right? When I use my walking foot I lower the top tension--- recommendation of mfgr.........that's all I can think of now

cindi 05-21-2015 05:35 AM

I agree with the walking foot, for sure. You can try putting the binding on the opposite way - if you're getting puckers with the binding on top when you sew, try applying with the binding on the bottom instead. Are you measuring your top when doing the binding? If your binding is too long for the top it will pucker as you try to work it in. I never trust the pattern for the measurements. If my final product is even a little off, it can affect the binding length. I always measure the quilt for my binding length.

Lori S 05-21-2015 06:35 AM

I find that stay stitching the edge before attaching the binding really solves many issues with binding. It does not take long and you will get back that time in the next steps. I use a longer stitch about a 3.0 - 3.5 when I stay stitch the edge. Its also a good opportunity to use up odd bobbins.

ManiacQuilter2 05-21-2015 06:48 AM

I agree with Lori S. I would do a stay stitch on the edge of the quilt and would probably solve your problem.

RST 05-21-2015 09:02 AM

After quilting and trimming but before binding, I do a long and wide zigzag stitch right along the edge. It really helps with the pucker issue, and it makes the binding process go much quicker for me. Any issues with waves or uneven edges are pretty much addressed in the zigzag step, so your binding goes on flawlessly.

bearisgray 05-21-2015 09:22 AM

I use bias cut binding - I baste the edges of it together (my machine) - and stay stitch the edges of the quilt sandwich about 1/8 inch from the edge -

That way I only have to deal with trying to keep two things lined up instead of trying to keep track of five edges.

For me - it's a few more minutes "up front" in the process - but it has saved me hours of redoing later.

EasyPeezy 05-21-2015 09:39 AM

I think we get puckers when we try to stretch the binding. I find pinning
then glue basting helps. I do one side at a time. I also stay stitch the edge
like others have mentioned.

Tartan 05-21-2015 09:44 AM

I lengthen my stitch length and stay stitch my quilt edge before machine stitching the binding on with my walking foot. If there are any problems with the quilt edge, they can be corrected before adding the binding. I use straight grain binding for all my quilts unless I am doing curves or scalloped edge.

Jingle 05-21-2015 11:42 AM

Maybe try lessening the pressure a tad bit on the presser foot. Use a bit longer stitch. Make sure the quilt edge is laying out flat and the binding is too. Walking foot an absolute must also. I sometimes stay stitch, not always. I never starch anything. I hope this helps.