Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing in camper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-camper-t279691.html)

ManiacQuilter2 06-18-2016 06:27 AM

I would take a project with you such as hexagons. I never when I went on vacation took my sewing machine with me. Too many interesting things to see when on vacation! :)

Onebyone 06-18-2016 06:43 AM

If DH bought something that small it would be to carry my sewing supplies while we travel and stay at motels. Good Luck.

GrammaSue 06-18-2016 10:14 AM

Camping trips for me are a time to get away, even from the quilting. But I use them to explore antique shops for sewing notions and vintage fabrics, and the LQS I find along the way. I usually come home with lots of new fabric for my stash and a few additional projects. When I get home, I am recharged and ready to settle into new projects and to finish those UFOs. But that being said, I have been known to bring along both handwork and/or my Featherweight.

MadQuilter 06-18-2016 10:33 AM

Time to embrace hand sewing. I take some projects along when we go camping. Half the time I end up not working on them but I know they are there when/if I want to.

suern3 06-18-2016 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by skothing (Post 7580034)
Thanks, I will do "Over the river" quilt lots of hand embroidery . I haven't started it yet . This will give me time to. Good suggestions.

This will be the perfect project for your camping trip! I embroidered the majority of the blocks for Vintage Tin, another Crabapple Hill design, while in our motorhome. Well, actually, a few others, also. Really like the hand embroidery for travel then do the piecing and quilting at home. Have fun!

lclang 06-19-2016 04:14 AM

We've been camping for 60 years and I'm telling you, you won't care for the little teardrop if you want to take anything with you. They have room for a bed, maybe an outside kitchen, and that's all. You could take a puzzle to work on a mat on the bed, or a deck of cards but the space is so limited. We went from a large tent to an enclosed camper to a motor home and every time we got something different it was to get more space. Good luck!

Kris P 06-19-2016 04:24 AM

Now might be the time to take up English Paper Piecing. Very portable, and you'll be surprised how much you can accomplish. I even EPP in the car while DH is driving. Makes long car trips more productive.

Dbhefner 06-19-2016 04:39 AM

DH and I have owned a T@B since 2011 and we LOVE it! We camp probably 30 nights a year (we both still work) and I always have a hexie project with me that I look forward to working on--bright and cheerful modern fabric "flowers" embedded in an ecru batik background. Will probably use it in the T@B when I'm done! We sometimes camp when I go to TOGA's (Treadle On Gatherings and Academies) where the whole purpose is to sew on people powered sewing machines, then I take a hand crank with me and when back at the campground sew on the picnic table. I absolutely love it. I've also taken the sewing machine when DH has to work, BUT there is a huge culture of Rally camping with T@Bs that we didn't even know about when we got our camper and now we are frequently camping with T@B friends and are so busy socializing that hand seeing works better anyway. Look up the T@B Camping Trailer group on Facebook. It is an amazing source of information and community. Feel free to PM with any questions!

skothing 06-19-2016 04:53 AM

Thank you Dbhefner, i am a little worried, we are picking it up on Thursday. Leaving on Friday, I've camp for 65 years. Mom had a picture of me in diapers at camp in 1951. But my husband has not yet done rv route. We travel alot. But to move into a T@B will be fun. We like to move onto the next town, sight seeing. I am tired of hotels and loud rooms next door. Have a few LQS on my list.

CanoePam 06-19-2016 05:02 AM

I have a friend who has had her T@B for at least 5 years. She loves it and travels a lot. She also attends a lot of rallys and enjoys them. She is a wonderful quilter, very artistic, but she said she doesn't sew when she is traveling.