Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing clothes, blah! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-clothes-blah-t187538.html)

quiltingshorttimer 04-28-2012 07:34 PM

Sewing clothes, blah!

I'm making clothing and other stuff for my son's upcoming wedding and now I remember why I drifted away from sewing before I discovered quilting! I've been working on material that is slick, frays like crazy, requires tons of pins and is hard to press(but not to scorch)! Oh, sure, it looks nice and is exactly what I wanted (for both the flower girl and myself) but what a pain! I can't wait to get the sleeves on my jacket and the skirt for myself done--then there are the stuffed calico dogs for the flower girl and ringbear (my new SGS)--but at least that won't be with slick material! I am SO looking forward to our guild quilt retreat in 2 weeks--with my mom, sis and daughter going too! I will not be taking any fabric that isn't COTTON!

auntpiggylpn 04-28-2012 07:40 PM

I second your feelings! I really have to want something or someone has begged me to sew something for them. I just don't enjoy garment making anymore.

DogHouseMom 04-28-2012 08:03 PM

I adore garment making, slick material not withstanding! I've made scads of lined suits for myself and loved every minute of it. Well ... almost.

I still have scads of UN-FINISHED suits hanging in the closet because I HATE HEMMING!!!

I don't have anyone close that I can trust to pin a hem on a skirt correctly while I'm standing, and when I do it myself it comes out uneven. I have a larger posterior and if I hem the skirt by measuring x inches all around - the hem line in the back is shorter than the hem line in the front - which only highlights my larger posterior. UGH!!

But confession time ... even when I find someone to pin the hem properly, I STILL have a problem hemming because I HATE handwork and I have never got the hang of blind hemming by machine.

But I really do love to make garments!!

Jan Rutherford 04-28-2012 08:14 PM

BUMMER... I no longer sew garments either. Things just don't fit, and with the prices of fabrci these days, you can buy whatever you need and for a good price IF you keep an eye on sales. I will make a few baby things, thats about it. AND no longer sew for weddings!!! With you in moaning quiltinghorttimmer!!!

virtualbernie 04-28-2012 08:14 PM

I feel your pain! I went through that in September--no more!

Tartan 04-29-2012 05:28 AM

I love quilting! Sewing garments, not so much. Sewing something for myself, never!!! I either don't like the fit or I am tried of the fabric before I ever wear it.

hperttula123 04-29-2012 06:21 AM

I am so with you. I would rather make a quilt than an outfit anyday. I did end up making some lounge pants for my son. He loves them(but they are so easy and quick to make). I don't enjoy the process at all. I will do it, but I'm not happy doing them. I have a new pattern for a skirt with ruffles on it for my girls, but I haven't even taken it out of the package. I'm dreading making those too.

Joy.lynn 04-29-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5178709)
I adore garment making, slick material not withstanding! I've made scads of lined suits for myself and loved every minute of it. Well ... almost.

I still have scads of UN-FINISHED suits hanging in the closet because I HATE HEMMING!!!

I don't have anyone close that I can trust to pin a hem on a skirt correctly while I'm standing, and when I do it myself it comes out uneven. I have a larger posterior and if I hem the skirt by measuring x inches all around - the hem line in the back is shorter than the hem line in the front - which only highlights my larger posterior. UGH!!

But confession time ... even when I find someone to pin the hem properly, I STILL have a problem hemming because I HATE handwork and I have never got the hang of blind hemming by machine.

I really love sewing garments too! In May we are going to have 5 grandchildren under the age of 3 and all, thank heaven, very close to where we live. I use the knowledge I have from sewing garments to add to my quilts, and what I have learned from quilting to jazz up garments. The two skills complement each other perfectly. However, 3 of the 4 we have now are girls, so maybe the slippery stuff and lots of pins are in the future.

pinecone 04-29-2012 09:03 AM

I love sewing for my little granddaughter, myself?? Not so much. I can gain 10 pounds and a quilt still fits. ;~)

kelsunshine 04-29-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5178709)

Too bad you are not closer to me. I love garment making. I made almost all of my children's clothes when they were young. I currently do sewing and alterations on the side for extra cash.