Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? on sewing Jellies & Charms with pinked edges?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-jellies-charms-pinked-edges-t254663.html)

ManiacQuilter2 10-02-2014 07:08 AM

? on sewing Jellies & Charms with pinked edges??

1 Attachment(s)
I know I have read threads on this subject before but didn't realize that Robert Kaufman was a fabric company that pinked the edges on their precut. I am having difficult with stitching a straight and accurate 1/4". I have numerous layers of painter's tape but it doesn't seem to work with the pink edges. Any suggestion?? Working on making this pattern for charity lap quilts for men in wheelchair. THANKS

SingerSewer 10-02-2014 08:34 AM

I have trouble with the pinked edges too. Logic says to use the inside of the pink but that doesn't seem right when I stitch them together. So my latest fix is slow but seems to work. Every other charm and then the jelly roll strips gets a pencil line on it marking the size it is supposed to be when finished...ie: 5" charm would measure a 4 1/2" square and the strips would be 2" after stitched. I stitch on the line. Yes, it is a time consuming project and no I don't think I like pinked edges...Good luck and like the pattern you are using. Good luck!

QuiltingHaven 10-02-2014 08:57 AM

You measure the size of the block from the point on the pinking. Otherwise, you lose up to 1/2" if you measure from the inner v of the pinking.

quiltstringz 10-02-2014 09:04 AM

Don't know the answer but love the quilt

mckwilter 10-02-2014 09:26 AM

It is easier to sew pinked fabrics if you have a 1/4" foot with the blade on the side.

Geri B 10-02-2014 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 6912571)
It is easier to sew pinked fabrics if you have a 1/4" foot with the blade on the side.

..and yes, use the outside points as the edge, not the inside ones.....also if you cannot get a bladed 1/4"foot, get a strip of moleskin....sold at drug store....and mark that 1/4 line on the bed of your machine.....

bearisgray 10-02-2014 09:45 AM

Cute pattern. Did you check with the residence for preferred sizes for the lap quilts? I'm thinking rectangle might work better than a square - but I really don't know.

quiltmouse 10-02-2014 09:53 AM

Very little experience with pinked edges.

I do love your pattern!

barny 10-02-2014 10:51 AM

I love your quilt. Looks like you have done a perfect job. It's beautiful.

ManiacQuilter2 10-02-2014 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have been using my 1/4" foot and when the seam looked crooked, I then have drawn a line. I don't know the facility these are going to. At our church meetings of quilters, we were are told approximate size which starts at 36"x36" Size varies depending on the size of the wheelchair and the individual. I will play with EQ and see how it looks as a rectangle. I originally was going to use white for the background but my best friend who is also a quilter suggested black. Not a fan of sewing on black due to poor eyesight.