Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing in laundry room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-laundry-room-t288092.html)

Onebyone 05-08-2017 06:53 PM

My laundry room has a half bath in it. Total waste of space as no one uses it. I would have had room for a large ironing station without the bathroom.

I would think of it as a washer and dryer in my sewing room not my sewing room in the laundry room.

zozee 05-08-2017 07:13 PM

Do you LIKE the idea? Will all the bedrooms be occupied by people every day? Is your laundry room well lighted and inviting? Have outlets? I personally would not like it because my laundry room is in the back of the basement, musty, away from everyone, and prone to its own clutter. Is there a room besides the bedrooms or bedrooms that could be turned into a sewing room or shared with your sewing stuff?

sewbizgirl 05-08-2017 07:22 PM

I think it's a great solution if you have enough space. Laundry rooms can be quite cozy. We have a small bed in ours where I am sleeping more and more, due to hubby's snoring and sleep disturbances. I love it!

Wonnie 05-08-2017 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs (Post 7820346)
Just think of what you'll get done! Sew, throw load in washer, sew, put in dryer... lol I think it's great use of space, unless your doing laundry constantly it's wasted space so think it's great idea!!

Absolutely.......I agree!!!

Kris P 05-09-2017 03:22 AM

I sew just outside of our laundry room and love it. I can keep an eye on the laundry and get more laundry done when I'm nearby. It also makes me get up and stretch every 30 minutes or so, which is really important.

NZquilter 05-09-2017 04:09 AM

Sounds like a wonderful idea!

elly66 05-09-2017 04:19 AM

I had my sewing machine set up in the laundry room for many years. Fabric stored in rubbermaid containers. Didn't mind the washer and dryer noises (kind of liked it). Had a radio set up there as well. My own little domain.

sewvicki 05-09-2017 04:57 AM

My dryer is vented to the outside too, but the room gets very dusty; more so than any other room in the house. I suppose if you vacuum frequently it would work. MHO

Sewnoma 05-09-2017 05:35 AM

It sounds great to me, assuming you have enough space, light, ventilation, outlets, etc. My dream sewing room plans include a little stackable washer/dryer, just for the sheer convenience. I'll probably never get to build my dream sewing room, but while I'm dreaming, the washer & dryer are there!

Lint might be an issue though. Our dryer vents outside but every time we pull the lint trap, lint flies out and scatters itself across the top of the dryer. So you might find yourself doing a lot of lint-rollering.

sylviasmom 05-09-2017 06:10 AM

For years I wondered about the excess lint in my bathroom which is upstairs over the laundry room. Dryer vents outside thru the roof. Not all lints ends up in the filter. And then there is the dampness from the washing machine. Still you might try it. How about a closet?