Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine for a 7 yr. old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-7-yr-old-t71372.html)

Sadiemae 10-20-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
You might also consider some of the "older" singers that have a zigzag stitch - once in a while one can get lucky and get one that sews well quite inexpensively.

Check it out before bringing it home, though.

I would check into this also, because they are built so sturdy. I still have the first one I bought(used for $75) and I keep it because it will sew things these new machines grumble at. I saw one advertised the other day for $100 and I bought mine about 30 years ago.

bearisgray 10-21-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Originally Posted by bearisgray
You might also consider some of the "older" singers that have a zigzag stitch - once in a while one can get lucky and get one that sews well quite inexpensively.

Check it out before bringing it home, though.

I would check into this also, because they are built so sturdy. I still have the first one I bought(used for $75) and I keep it because it will sew things these new machines grumble at. I saw one advertised the other day for $100 and I bought mine about 30 years ago.

If possible, ask a sewing machine repair person (preferably an experienced, older, independent one) which of the older singers would be a good choice. There are some tan ones from the 1950s-1960s that I think are pretty good.

I think Singer went through a transition period when they misplaced their wonderful sturdiness and quality.

Prissnboot 10-21-2010 07:37 AM

I have been working with an 8 yr old teaching her to sew, and her grandmother bought her a basic Brother machine - straight stitch and zigzag, goes backwards. Nothing more than that is needed, and I highly suggest checking Craigslist for inexpensive starter machines. That way if she doesn't like it, you haven't invested a ton of money into the project. Happy stitching and good luck!

wildyard 10-21-2010 07:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback all. I see I need to rethink this whole thing. Her parents are not really in favor of her having a machine at this time as neither or them sew and they live a few states away from me so I won't have a lot of time to work with her on it.
Guess I'll have to wait till she is a little older, anyway. Sighhhhh...
At least I'll know what to be looking for in the meantime!!
Hugs and smiles,

BellaBoo 10-21-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by np3
My granddaughter has been using the Janome Hello Kitty machine since she was 5 years old. It is a "real" machine and I am very impressed with how well it sews.

I bought my DGD a 3/4 size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine. When she was 8. Up until then she was using a Janome Gem I had for workshops. Janome makes the Hello Kitty and it's the same as the basic Gem machine only much cuter. She wanted the Hello Kitty and I think it will be a collector's item for her child to have one day along with my Featherweight. Her mom sews on it and it's held up for 5 years now with minimal maint. I gave my DD (mom) a new machine to use so the Hello Kitty could get a rest.

The 1/2 size Hello Kitty machine is a toy so don't buy that one. Any of the Janome portables are very good machines, also Kenmore portables are good and cost the same as the ones at Walmart for a much better machine.

sash 10-21-2010 04:01 PM

I have been teaching my niece how to make a quilt and I made the mistake of letting her sew on my Janome 6600 and of course she loves it. I hadn't seen her in a few months and she was over and I had gotten a Featherweight (it's just the cutest little machine ever and sews really nice, but u know there's no bells or whistles on it. I was showing it to her and she wasn't a bit impressed with it. lol. She now wants a sewing machine for her b/d and wants one like the 6600. I told her how expensive they were, especially for a lst machine. Of course she's just a kid and doesn't have the first inkling of money. So, I guess I sort of spoiled her; should have made her use one of my other machines. I think she may not be happy with any other machine now. Hope I haven't ruined it for her.

gale 10-21-2010 04:07 PM

Even though I have the 6600 and love it, I really LOVE my 11 yr old Janome MC3500. So maybe you've spoiled her but there might be hope. :D

gollytwo 10-21-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by np3
My granddaughter has been using the Janome Hello Kitty machine since she was 5 years old. It is a "real" machine and I am very impressed with how well it sews.

I bought my granddaughter a Jem Gold - it costs a couple of hundred but is a real machine. I have one myself that I take to workshops etc.

purplefiend 10-21-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo

Originally Posted by np3

I bought my granddaughter a Jem Gold - it costs a couple of hundred but is a real machine. I have one myself that I take to workshops etc.

I have a Jem Gold 2 and its my take to classes machine, nice little machine.