Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine with built in dual feed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-built-dual-feed-t154396.html)

gammieju 09-20-2011 08:40 AM

I want to purchase a sewing machine that has dual feed or built in walking foot or whatever it is that keeps you from having to put the walking foot on the machine so that both top and bottom fabric feed at the same time. I know that pfaff has a machine but are there other brands that have this feature. I have been reading about the janome with acufeed and superior plus feed system. Do any of you have a machine with these features and which do you think is best for sewing long strips together? Thanks for any info. Judy

sewmary 09-20-2011 08:48 AM

Pfaff was the first. I love their system.

DogHouseMom 09-20-2011 08:51 AM

Janome MC6600, and Horizon (aka 7700) both have the dual feed system. They call it the "accufeed". It's the reason I purchased the 6600.

fraydknot12326 09-20-2011 08:55 AM

On the Janome 6600 you change the foot to have the AccuFeed ... it's not like the Pfaff. But.... it is an awesome foot and really easy to change and use ~ HTH :D

TexasSunshine 09-20-2011 08:55 AM

I have a Pfaff I bought in 1986, and am still sewing on, that has the dual feed and I love it. I use it nearly all the time regardless what I am sewing. It is one of the best features of the machine.

Scissor Queen 09-20-2011 08:56 AM

I have a Pfaff and a Janome. I love them both. The Janome has more throat space so it has more room to stuff a quilt thru it. The Pfaff is lighter and smaller so it fits on my sewing desk better. Since it fits on my sewing desk it tends to get used for piecing more.

Quilter Lois 09-20-2011 09:04 AM

Last Christmas my hubby surprised me with the Janome Horizon 7700 and it has an accufeed. It is separate from the regular foot but it extremely easy to attach (as are all the feet that come with it - about 14). I have wonderful results with the Horizon and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is great value for the money can you can get it at much less than the $2900 asking price. I would recommend you find someone who has one or a store and try it out. Take in a sample sandwiched piece and try FMQ with the 11" harp! I quilt very large quilts on mine with hardly any problem. Again, I highly recommend the Janome Horizon.
I also just made a jelly roll quilt where you sew all the strips together and the machine handled it fast and accurately! Good Hunting and Good Luck!! :thumbup:

Maggiemay 09-20-2011 09:07 AM

I have a Pfaff with dual feed & love it. I use it while piecing too. I love how I can use different feet-1/4 foot, SID foot- & still use the dual feed.

Maia B 09-20-2011 09:36 AM

I have two Pfaffs (computerized 7530, mechanical Select 3.0) and a Baby Lock Quest Plus. I think the dual feed on the Quest Plus is identical. LOVE that feature!!! My piecing is SO much more accurate. Putting on sashing and long borders is also easier, with no wavy-ness. On my QP, I did straight-line quilting with thinner batting with just the built-in dual feed. No ripples or puckers, but these were smaller pieces, well-basted. I must say that for thicker layers, the walking foot on my Bernina is better. It's a cinch to put on, has 1/4" markings, and has 3 sole options including a new sole for SITD. The new Bernina 8-series also have built-in dual feed, which I think is better than on the Pfaffs. Baby Lock has replaced the Quest Plus with the Serenade. The Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro is also very similar to those two Baby Locks. All with 9" harps, for about $1000-1500.

scowlkat 09-20-2011 09:55 AM

There are a couple of used Horizons on ebay - I personally prefer the Pfaff IDT over Janome's dual feed. Usually I am Janome all the way, but just think changing their dual feed is a pain in the keister!