Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-cabinet-t191723.html)

irquilter 06-14-2012 04:45 AM

Sewing Machine Cabinet

I am thinking of buying a Janome 7700. This machine has an 11 inch harp and so requires a larger than typical opening. I remember seeing a post here about sewing machine cabinets that seemed very affordable and nice, but of course did not bookmark it and haven't had any luck finding it again. Any ideas about where to find an affordable cabinet which would have a large enough opening for this machine would be very appreciated. I am not very impressed with the table Janome recommends for this machine.

majormom 06-14-2012 05:42 AM

What table does Janome recommend? I looked at a number of sites that featured the 7700, but saw no suggestions for tables
The Sew Perfect sewing tables, (made in Maine) could not be described as 'furniture' as some sewing cabinet companies like to call their cabinets, far from it, but they are extremely sturdy and versatile ( I am not affiliated with the Co in any way) They have additions that can be added on to make the sewing field even larger, they adjust to the height you want They look truly functional, however not beautiful They seem to have a very large opening, and one table they actually make to fit Janome. It is the table I intend to buy to make my quilting easier after I get rid of my Koala sewing cabinet which I hate, ...but we will not get into that!!! :-)

Lori S 06-14-2012 05:47 AM

I have seen these in person and they are quite nice, and on the more affordable list. They are a nice company to work with and will help you figure out your best options. They are located in Wisconsin , and do ship. Look at the show schedule they have one in Michigan.
http://www.traceystables.com/

Rose Marie 06-14-2012 06:32 AM

I bought the Bertha when it was new and not well tested. It cost $550 and was hard to put togather.
My machine is the Viking Sapphire with the 10 inch throat so required a bigger cabinet.
Bertha has extensions on both sides and back but they only fold up not down so you have to lower the machine to close the sides. The back extension lays down and has a leg to prop it up with. You need lots of room for it as open it is 7 ft long. It is great for quilting and I love it.
I think Sew Esi now makes a table for larger machines so would be alot cheaper.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-14-2012 07:23 AM

Not sure what kind of table you are looking for.....but if you go to ebay and type in sewing machine tables janome several pop up. Gives you clues to names and prices to investigate firther. I also believe that the Giget 2 by arrow will fit the machine with a larger harp. I have a regular Gigdet that I put both my Viking and Brother in and I really like it for steadiness and stay put-ness but do have to put another table behaind it when working on a large heavy project.

LyndaOH 06-14-2012 10:20 PM

I have the 7700 and an Aussie cabinet from Arrow Cabinets. I absolutely love it. I'm amazed at how small it is when closed and how much room there is when it's open. I don't even have it open all the way. Periodically they will discontinue a color or finish and that's when you'll get a great bargain. Friend Arrow on facebook and you'll get notices about bargains and contests and such. I got my Aussie through Connecting Threads. A while back they had it on special and included a lot of extras from CT. They carry several of their other cabinets too, or did.

Feathers-N-Fur 06-15-2012 01:07 AM

My MIL gave me her old sewing table. I removed the old hardware for swinging the old machine up and down, then added a shelf underneath for my new machine to sit on to make it flush with the table top, then DH enlarged the cutout to accommodate my 9" machine. Then we painted it and added a laminate top and new drawer pulls. It looks like an expensive table. Is a great size. Is sturdy, no vibration at all. Has 3 drawers for thread, scissors, rotary cutter, etc. I love it. Total cost $30 and an afternoon to refurb. it. You can find these old tables on craigslist for $50 or less all the time.

irquilter 06-15-2012 02:22 AM

Great ideas! Thank You. After much discussion my husband and I have decided to build a cabinet into the space so that all of our sewing needs can be met in that particular space, yeah!