Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine for daughter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-daughter-t209516.html)

mary quite contrary 12-29-2012 06:57 AM

Sewing Machine for daughter

My 26 year old daughter is ready for her sewing machine. She has used mine and is slowly catching "the bug". I am a Bernina owner x 3 but my retired budget can't do that brand any longer. I want her to begin on a good,basic with enough bells and whistles that she will enjoy her machine time. My favorite shop sells Baby Lock and Janome. I am leaning toward Janome. I think she can get a good, enjoyable machine. Did I mention I have another 24 year old daughter and she just flat out asked for a machine. Pinterst may be a motivation here. I want to buy something they will enjoy and in a few years, if they want more bells, embroidery modual, etc, their husbands can trade them up. (Trade the machines, not the daughters). Ha,ha. Thanks for any suggests, pro, cons. Love this board.

wolph33 12-29-2012 07:19 AM

I think it is great that the younger folks are getting into sewing/quilting.I do not have any ideas on which machines-but I am happy your family is catching the sewing bug.

PaperPrincess 12-29-2012 07:31 AM

Sounds like you are a GREAT MOM, I would look into used machines at your Janome dealer. There should be lots of trade ins after Christmas.

willferg 12-29-2012 07:47 AM

In my area, the Bernina dealer/repairman also carries Janomes...I figured if he is an expert on Berninas and also approves of Janomes, then that's good enough for me, so I got a Janome, and it's been fine.

Dolphyngyrl 12-29-2012 07:58 AM

I love my babylock, what type of sewing is she trying to do. The audreys are nice and portable. People love the. Babylock does not make any low end machines so they should all be nice

dash2000lbs 12-29-2012 08:21 AM

Lucky ... I have 2 daughters whose only interest in sewing machines is too look at mine ...LOL!, maybe my granddaughters ....

AliKat 12-29-2012 10:28 AM

I am open to many types of sewing machines. I figure it is what you bond with as the bigger names are all reliable.

Aren't you lucky that now at the end of the year most shops are having great sales. You can pick up one of the lower end machines reasonably and maybe without interest for a few months. Then let the girls do there own upgrades when they are ready.

lalaland 12-29-2012 10:50 AM

When I upgraded the machines in my sewing class, I purchased all Janomes and they have been great, no problems.

Since you are on a retired budget, are you looking for computerized machines or mechanical machines? You mentioned bells and whistles - are you talking only perks available on computerized machines? You didn't say what model the Bernina was that the girls were familiar with. If computerized is what you are looking for, a used machine might be a good option. Several of the machines I purchased for my class were used and they all perform as well as the new.