Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine, decisions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-decisions-t227188.html)

Mdaniels 08-03-2013 10:41 AM

sewing machine, decisions

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I wrote and received a few opinions on the Juki 2010q. I'm looking to upgrade my current Bernina Aurora 430 for a machine which has a larger throat size. I a bit torn between a straight stitch and a machine that has many other nice features--most especially some decent alphabets, which I like to have for making my quilt labels. But I'd really like the larger throat space to make quilting easier.

Today, I looked at a Babylock Espire, reconditioned, for $1499. It is apparently the older version of the current Symphony. Loved it in the sewing shop--sewed like a dream, very impressive. I am wondering if anyone has input or suggestions regarding a sewing machine or any comments on the price or performance of the used machine I looked at, I'd really, really love to hear it. Big investment for me.

Thanks.

meyert 08-03-2013 10:59 AM

You sound like I did a few months ago. Wanting a new sewing machine and not sure what to get. I am sure there are many good machines. I ended up with a Janome MasterCraft 6600 and I love it. It was more than I wanted to spend because my budget for "toys for mom" is about $0. This may not be quite the level of machine you are looking for but I am glad that I got it. I has a lot of decorative stitches and I can do the letters. I can now put my "signature" on my quilts - - not really a signature, but I leave my mark. The throat is enough that I can machine quilt.. I have done a twin size and a couch throw size so far. I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone

Mdaniels 08-03-2013 11:52 AM

Thank you. Actually the HViking dealer in town had a machine like yours for about 1k. I might try that out. The Babylock is more than I need, but they seem reliable, the dealer is local, it has everything+ what I want...but not sure if the dealer is asking more than its worth? Thanks I do appreciate the nod to your Janome and might go take a look.

Dolphyngyrl 08-03-2013 07:09 PM

I bought a used one for 1800 and lovedit, just recently upgraded and turned her in but she sewed like a dream from day 1 and also when I gave her up, had her for almost 3 years, lovely machine.

AngelinaMaria 08-03-2013 07:27 PM

I purchased a trade-in Espire almost 2 years ago for $1300 and have felt that I over paid. My Espire has not performed as well as it sounds like most Babylocks do. Trouble with stitching over intersections (especially using Batik fabrics but really everything), lighting is not strong enough, the bobbin case is almost impossible to put back into position correctly--each time I have taken it out to clean under it, it has taken 2 to 3 days of repeated repositioning to get it to work again properly--and I have read and researched everything to see what I am doing wrong and I have no idea. Many decorative stitches don't stitch out that nicely and my straight stitch doesn't really stitch that straight (compared to my old Janome especially). There are several other factors as well that make this a difficult machine to use but the way it pulls fabric to the left is really frustrating. I think this has to do with where the feed dogs are positioned in relation to the presser foot. It is difficult to get a 1/4 seam.

So, I'm really hoping I just got one that doesn't really fit the Babylock quality measure.

Txladybugs 08-03-2013 07:35 PM

I am a Babylock fan, I have Espire, Elegante, Esante, I have not had any problems.

Mdaniels 08-04-2013 02:52 AM

Do dealers every negotiate for purchases like these?

romanojg 08-04-2013 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels (Post 6214174)
Do dealers every negotiate for purchases like these?

It really depends on the dealers, if a machine is new or used and what they paid for it. My dealer (Viking) contacts Viking when they give a price on a trade in to see the value at current date. I like that. I got my Ruby from them and then 1yr later I got my Diamond Deluxe and used the Ruby as a trade in and lost very little. My Ruby only had a few hours of use prior to me buying it and I got a warranty. My DDeluxe was used at the Viking convention so it was classified as "used" and I saved thousands of dollars on it. When I went into the settings after I got it, the time used was only minutes meaning it was probably set up to be used but no one sat at that station. My dealer also now sells machines on consignment and they are the only store that I've heard of that list their prices of used and new machines on thier web site. I like that. A great dealer with great customer service and classes is a must when looking at buying a machine. You never know when you'll need help, even if you know how to use all the bells and whistles. By the way, I love my machine and with 0 financing I couldn't turn it down. My LQS also sells the Pfaff in their stores along with the Vikings, makes since since its the same company. Good luck and I really hope you find what you want.

threads57 08-04-2013 05:17 AM

Please check out the Janome machines. I have both the 6600 Janome and the Babylock Ellure Plus. Although the Babylock is an OK machine you do not get the quality you get with the Janome machines. The 6600 is a workhorse.
Also check out the 8900. Although a lot of ladies love the 7700, I have heard that the upgrades in the 8900 make it an awesome machine. It also have the larger harp and great lighting.

Annaquilts 08-04-2013 05:40 AM

I have an Janome 6500 almost ten years old and I have run it hard piecing and quilting on average 2 hours a day. I have heard from 6600 and 6700 owners that they really like their machines too.