Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine furniture (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-furniture-t95245.html)

katzak 01-30-2011 10:56 AM

Yesterday, I went to the huge Phoenix Quilt Show and was looking at the Koala "treasure chest" cabinet for my Viking. Love the quality and high worktop (I'm 5'7).

Does anyone have Koala furniture, and if so, what are your recommendations? Looking for advice before spending such large bucks. I'm currently working in my guest room, so space is limited.

Thanks ....

Kat Zak in Casa Grande, Az

Sweetness 01-30-2011 11:14 AM

I bought my koala 12 years ago. Still love everything about it. It's been moved and it's still solid, no creaks or groans. Finish is still beautiful. Nothing bad too say except I wish I had gotten a bigger one that had the back side that would flip out too (like the sides) to help hold bigger projects up. But when I bought it I was new to the craft & was limited on room/budget. Plus they had many less choices back then :)

purplemem 01-30-2011 11:36 AM

I've had a Koala cabinet for three years and moved it twice. It is really well built and I love it. Well worth the money.

I, too, wish I had bought the flip out to do larger quilts.

Alas! Live and learn!

Candace 01-30-2011 11:44 AM

I have two Koalas and love them.

Tink's Mom 01-30-2011 01:13 PM

They make VERY good quality sewing furniture....I think they are the best of the best.

tjradj 01-30-2011 01:26 PM

I love the Koala stuff - just can't afford it.
I also have a contact that makes amazing sewing room furniture closer to home - South western Ontario.
They had a booth at our quilt show in october and their furniture is wonderfully made, furniture quality and extremely well designed.
Her son has a degree in industrial design - he designs the pieces. Her husband is a woodworker and he makes them.
Sounds like a win/win eh?

cmw0829 01-30-2011 05:44 PM

I lusted over this cabinet for months. Then went to my sewing machine dealer's huge sale in August. She had a loaded Treasure Chest that when discounted was still much more than what they were asking for a Horn 2178 that was deeply discounted.

I ended up choosing the Horn because of the price and the cost to deliver (the Koala was much heavier). The dealer called several times to tell me that they would reduce the delivery price of the Koala - they must have really wanted to move it.

In retrospect, I wish I'd bought the Treasure Chest rather than the 29" high Horn which I had planned to use as a cutting table, but can't because I get backaches. And I'm only 5'3".

If you can afford it, get it. From all of the reviews I've read about Koala, you won't be sorry.

I was embarrassed to pay so much even though DH told me I could get the one I wanted. Funny how that works out because I'm the one who makes the money in our family, but it IS the family's money.

amyjo 05-02-2021 05:52 PM

Koala cabinrt

I have the large koala with the back flip up and the sides it is wonderful to be able to have the space to finish up a quilt

mkc 05-02-2021 05:55 PM

Bumping a 10+ year old topic?

sewingpup 05-03-2021 05:40 AM

yes..this is an old topic...but I will comment anyway. I got my Horn cabinet more than 10 years ago. It has the drop down leaf in the back that lifts up so I have plenty of space behind the cabinet. It also has about 3 feet to the left of the machine and I pull out the drawer on the left side and make even more surface. I love the Horn cabinet. They can be pricey especially ones that you can adjust the height on to make it perfect for you. Given a choice between getting a nice cabinet or a fancier machine. I would go with the cabinet. just saying