Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine in garage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-garage-t280415.html)

Snooze2978 07-14-2016 09:12 AM

I packed up my sewing room...machines, fabrics, etc. in either their original box or in plastic totes. All was supposed to be stored in an A/C storage facility but I'm sure it was not as some small appliances, etc. had turned yellow which I think is caused from a hot environment. They were stored in there for almost 4 years and this was in hot, humid Florida. Nothing was damaged or unworkable excluding the discoloration of the appliances.

rryder 07-14-2016 11:42 AM

Be sure and get some desiccant to go in with your fabrics. I made the mistake of storing our christmas ornaments in our basement and even though they were in plastic tubs with tight fitting lids, some of the fabric ones got mildewy and had to be cleaned--what a pain. If I'd put some of those silica gel packets in with them it probably wouldn't have happened. I can imagine it could be a serious problem if you've got a large stash and you are moving to a hot/humid locality.

I would not store the machines in the garage if there is another space in the house for them. Since the garage is not heated/cooled I would be concerned not only about excessive heat, but also about moisture from ambient humidity.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

SandySews 07-15-2016 04:31 AM

I would not store my sewing machines in a garage as the temps can go too high or too low for them. Plus they can sweat as the temps change and that would not be good for them. I'd try and keep them where the temps are more stable. Perhaps a family member or good friend who you know you can trust would allow you to store them in a bedroom or something.

Sophie2 07-15-2016 05:16 AM

We are moving to Florida in two weeks. My machines will travel with me in my truck, fabric with movers. Once in FL, I will need to store the fabric in our attached hanger, but the machines will find a corner in a closet or room some place. Hanger gets too hot during the day.

tessagin 07-15-2016 05:28 AM

I don't see where you state your machines are in cabinets. If they are not in cabinets get a good carrier with wheels (easy to move, easy on the back, and find a corner or back of a closet. AS far as storing your fabric, you can go to any hardware or home improvement store, also order on line different forms of silica to put in the storage area. It will help to contain/absorb any moisture. They aren't expensive but always worth the price. Also if you don't have one, purchase or rent a dollie to load and move. Beats the cost of a chiropractor or hospital stay.

maviskw 07-15-2016 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 7601675)
some small appliances, etc. had turned yellow which I think is caused from a hot environment. They were stored in there for almost 4 years and this was in hot, humid Florida. Nothing was damaged or unworkable excluding the discoloration of the appliances.

White appliances turn yellow just from age. I have several that have done that. My cordless mixer and my White serger. They have never been anywhere hotter than my house. They both work well, just look yellow from age.

klswift 07-15-2016 07:17 AM

I think the problem is not the heat but the possibility of humidity. Perhaps you can include something in the case (similar to the idea of the little silica packets in shoe boxes) to absorb any moisture. Check with a local hardware store and see what the have. Also, if you can open up the plastic container every once in awhile to let it breathe. I keep some fabric stored in large plastic bins in a storage shed and once a month I open the tops. Fabric I have been working with I keep in cardboard because of the moisture it may have collected from handling. I asked for a bunch of medium size pizza boxes from a local business and use them to store orphan blocks. The are perfect size, breathe, stack well and I can write on the outside the type of block (Christmas, black/white, etc). But. I don't think just the heat of a couple months would do any real damage. Good luck with the move!

sash 07-15-2016 07:51 AM

I know of a quilter that had a high end (really high) machine and left it in car(I don't think but a few days) and the motherboard ended up being fried. Had to be replaced. I would not for anything leave mine in storage in all this heat. It would go where I go or store at friend's house.

Carol Jean 07-15-2016 07:55 AM

Yes, I agree.

Jingle 07-15-2016 11:58 AM

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.
Sometimes we just have to take a chance and do what we can do.