Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine on a generator? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-generator-t164401.html)

QuiltnNan 10-30-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
I don't think I would chance it if it were me. They have to many power surges...at least ours does.

ditto

Elisabethann 10-30-2011 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. We are in CT. We got 14 inches of snow. It is really wet snow and b/c most of the trees still have their leaves, we have Alot of trees down on power lines. I'm guessing it is going to be several days of no power :-)

Mitch's mom 10-30-2011 09:56 AM

If it isn't a computerized machine you might be OK. I would NEVER hook up a computerized or electronic machine to a generator but I'd run a vintage mechanical machine in a heartbeat. When those old girls were built power was not as consistent as it is today, especially in the rural areas. They were built to take that into account.

LivelyLady 10-30-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
We are without power, again, and will be for days. We have a generator. Anyone use their machine off their generator ?

I would check with the electric company. We got 2 feet, but luckily did not lose power. Neighboring towns did, though, and the national guard has been called in.

memepat 10-30-2011 10:03 AM

I would not hesitate to use an older mechanical machine but I sould not use my Bernina. Maybe it is a good time to cut some projects. Sorry....

romanojg 10-30-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
If it is an inexpensive machine connected to a power bar, I would go for it before cabin fever sets in. I would only use it though if the major appliances were already taken care of. Would I chance a $$$$$$$Bernina? NO!

this would be the only way that I'd try it; inexpensive machine and one that isn't computerized. I'd try it on my old singer; it's electic (not antique or vintage) no computer so if I lost it I wouldn't cry.

BabyCakes 10-30-2011 10:30 AM

My mom has. She has a whole house generator.No problems.

0tis 10-30-2011 12:13 PM

My opinion is - if you have a great surge protector - then plug your machine into the surge protector - also some generators (older ones) are not stable enough or cannot handle the load - check your machine - it should be on the label how much draw it takes to use your machine.

I lived many years off the grid - we had solar and generators - but we also had an inverter - the inverter really stabliized the power and draws from a bank of batteries then converts the DC power to AC.

I think it can be done - but if its computerized I would be cautious and use a surge protector.

butterjoy 10-30-2011 12:18 PM

I used my sewing machine with our generator. I made sure the TV and computer system was turned off. Only the refrigerator, freezer and furnace was running so, I had enough juice for sewing machine.
I wonder how quazyquilter is doing. She is in Vermont, I think.

icon17 10-30-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
We are without power, again, and will be for days. We have a generator. Anyone use their machine off their generator ?

Its Ok as long as you don't over use the power of your generator, and to be safe put your machine on a power strip with a breaker. 8-)