Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine for granddaughter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-granddaughter-t283260.html)

parrynj 10-24-2016 06:10 PM

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

At what age would you buy a first sewing machine for a young girl? My granddaughter is nine and loves all things crafty including sewing. She has used my machine a little bit but does handsewing at home. I was thinking at some point I would like to buy her her own machine to use at her house. Also what would you recommend for her first machine? Thanks

Judith1005 10-24-2016 06:26 PM

I say go for it as long as mom or dad will agree to supervise her with the machine until your sure she really understands how to use it.

My suggestion, go with something fun and simple. I think the Hello Kitty machines are darling. But, I would read up on the reviews first. And, a cute little FQ bundle and a spool of thread would be a great addition. I would buy a machine with good reviews. But, I would stick with a simple inexpensive machine to start with. After all she's only 9. Interests can change. Or, they could grow and you will have a little quilty partner in crime and will eventually want something really nice. Good luck and have a great time looking and testing what is out there.

bearisgray 10-24-2016 07:52 PM

I would get a "real" machine for her.

BETTY62 10-24-2016 08:09 PM

With parent's approval, I would buy her one of the lower priced Brothers. They are great little machines and most likely will be on sale at Walmart as part of the Black Friday sale items.

ragamuffin 10-24-2016 08:11 PM

I would get her a used machine if you can find a good one cheap. Zig-zag too. I would train her to thread it and load and fill the bobbins. Extra needles too. Put a sticker on the machine to tell her which way to put the new needle in, flat side to the left or however way it goes. Tell her to stand up and make sure when she threads the machine to get the thread in between the two discs where you set the tension. Mother was always sitting down when she did this and always had trouble with it. I stand up because I am only 4'10" tall. I hope she enjoys it.

Jane Quilter 10-24-2016 08:40 PM

I tried the hello kitty ones. I recommend a real machine with a slow stitch speed.

Bree123 10-24-2016 08:44 PM

My mom never used her machine, so I inherited hers when I was 11 (for sewing, it wasn't until 20+ years later that I took up quilting). I had taken home ec in school & then took additional sewing classes in the summer. I would say that if she has responded well to instruction -- whether classes or working 1:1 with family -- and has been using a family member's machine successfully, and really loves sewing/quilting, then anytime from 8-9 years on up could be appropriate.

My first machine was a vintage Singer. I think anything used that's been properly serviced (either before purchase or before use), is all metal parts & does a nice straight stitch would make for a good starter machine. Younger girls often get excited about the computerized machines that do all those decorative stitches, but my personal opinion is that it's easier to learn on a simpler machine. There is less to learn, less than can go wrong & fewer distractions. Plus, computerized machines are more expensive to service ... and as much as I adore my Bernina, it would feel excessive to me to spend so much money on accessories & parts for a child's first sewing machine.

The other thing to consider is figuring out a sewing station set-up. When I started sewing I set-up the machine on one of my mother's end tables so it was the right height for me. I had a stool with a back on it that I piled a couple pillows on & used that as my seat. My stitching was much more accurate when I would do that instead of trying to sew at the kitchen table with the speed pedal sitting on top of blocks. My great grandmother never made it above 4'8" and she used some kind of plant stand for her electric machine.

quiltingcandy 10-24-2016 10:02 PM

I agree with the others that first ask her mom and dad to make sure they are in agreement.

If her mother doesn't sew it may be best to wait a couple years. Or do you live close by? I ask because if something goes awry with the machine it can be very scary for her and mom will have no idea what to do. I was 8 when my mother taught me to use her machine, she was a stay at home mom, so she was there when I sewed. There are so many things for her to sew by hand now, and perfecting a good stitch is a valid skill, since it sounds like she enjoys hand sewing. I was sewing doll clothes and also learned embroidery. When I was in Jr. High (13) I took home-ec. I did a lot more machine sewing after that.

notmorecraft 10-24-2016 11:44 PM

I learned on a singer my dad had bought my mum. She never used it as she preferred to knit and bought a knitting machine lol. I think I was about 8 or 9,can't really remember too long ago lol. As my mum hadn't a clue about machine, when it snarled I must have just figured it out for myself. I think a basic good machine, either second hand or one of the basic Brother/ Janome, both easy to use.

Austinite 10-25-2016 02:19 AM

Basic good machines are the best, in my observations crappy machines turn more folks OFF sewing than anything else. A basic brother or janome, those are light and portable but will actually sew well