Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine height and chair height (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-height-chair-height-t301053.html)

sammcclintick 11-20-2018 05:04 PM

sewing machine height and chair height

There might already be a thread on this. Is there a recommended height difference between sewing surface and chair height? I imagine a long torso person wouldn't mind a higher sewing level or lower chair, and a short torso person might want them closer together, but what is the average? I feel the set up I have now is too high and I need a lower table or a higher chair.

rryder 11-20-2018 05:29 PM

I like to have my table low enough so that I am not reaching up when I'm quilting---- elbows bent at about 90 degree angle so that I don't raise my shoulders up. You may need to raise your chair a bit to make that work. If raising your chair to the right height causes posture problems-- then you might want to look into a saddle stool-- that's what I use and I find it much more comfortable than a regular chair.

Rob

QuiltE 11-20-2018 05:40 PM

SamMcClintick ... you have the right idea, that it is different according to the person!
Sometimes one needs to raise the table/machine height to make it work.
A small rise under the legs of the table can do the job.
Likewise, you may need to raise/lower your chair accordingly.

Generally, the ergonomics are ....
Feet flat on floor
Knees bent at 90°
Hips 90°
Arms flat on sewing machine table top with elbows bent 90°
Shoulders resting easily, not hunched up, or dropping down.

Of course, these are generalities.

Cari-in-Oly 11-20-2018 07:10 PM

I use rolling office chairs in my sewing room. I'm short, 5'2", my sewing tables/cabinets are not all the same height, with the office chairs I can raise or lower the seat so I'm comfortable at all of them.

Cari

SusieQOH 11-20-2018 07:27 PM

I had an old trestle table that was perfect for my Juki so I can FMQ. The problem though, was that it was too high so my husband cut off the legs a few inches. Now it's perfect.
I have office chairs for both machines that are adjustable.

bearisgray 11-20-2018 07:35 PM

my sewing tables are lower/shorter than "standard" desk or table height. i can "adapt" to the higher heights, but i do not like them.

i think each person has to find the distance/ ratio that works for him/ her.

janjanq 11-22-2018 05:30 AM

My problem with table height is that it I raise my chair to be at a comfortable height to the sewing machine, I can't reach the floor or the foot pedal! My husband made a platform for the foot pedal, but now I can't get my knees under the desk due to a center drawer. I'm 4' 10" . Next summer we're going to remodel my sewing room and build a custom height table.

Iceblossom 11-22-2018 07:15 AM

I'm a big believer in ergonomics, had to be as a production typist back in the day. QuiltE is correct with the basics. I have a long torso and short little arms and legs, not as bad as the alligator in the Geico ad but close enough :p For me the typing trays on most office desks are too low, table height is the correct height for me.

However, I am too used to my machine being on top of a table rather than set in at the correct height in a sewing table. I just feel awkward at that level. I could probably get used to it and maybe enjoy it in time, but so far I am content with a standard height table. I have started looking for a good table at a good deal on Craig's List, but I'm cheap and I might have to be looking for quite awhile.

I do have an adjustable office chair for my sewing room. Even if I am reaching up a bit with my short little arms, my feet/legs are correct, my foot pedal is at easy reach.

Another thing to keep in mind is to change your position every half hour or so. For me while quilting that means that I will sew for about half an hour, then I get up and walk to my ironing board and iron while standing for a bit. I actually move my ironing board out of my sewing room and into the living room just for a bit more change/movement. But there is that big part of me that just loves to stay sitting in my chair with my desk behind me, my sewing table in front of me and my ironing board lowered to sitting position...

klswift 11-22-2018 08:17 AM

Those of us who are older probably remember typing class in school. The rule was to have your arms straight forward (a 90 degree bend at elbow). This allowed for the longest period of time without discomfort. I just used this as a guide. I have sewn at classes or retreats at different table set-ups and find that if I don't use this plan, I do get tired faster and my back tends to feel the discomfort.

cashs_mom 11-22-2018 02:29 PM

Like Cari, I have an adjustable steno chair which works with all my tables as they are not all the same height. I bought a SewEzi table this fall and I really like it for FMQ. I did FMQ on a fairly large (65 x 90+) quilt on it. With the exercises my chiro gave me, breaks every 1/2 hour or so and this table, I was able to do the whole thing without fatigue. I'm sold on it. I even talked my husband into buying me the extension table that goes with it for Christmas!