Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-needles-t305668.html)

Lois0719 07-08-2019 12:37 PM

Sewing Machine Needles

Hi, I need some advice regarding the disposal - or resharpening - of sewing machine needles. I'm reluctant to put them in the trash/landfill so I thought I would ask you all - What method do you use to discard sewing machine needles? Thanks for your help.

QuiltE 07-08-2019 12:47 PM

How do you dispose of other sharps, eg. shaving blades, etc?
Likewise, what are you doing with your rotary blades??

It might be best to check on what the regulations are for such, in your municipality.

Many keep a pill bottle and put them into it.

For me ....
I have a piggy bank that I "deposit" any needles, pins and rotary blades that are beyond use.
It'll be a long time before it will be filled .... and I have to figure out what to do with it then!

nanibi 07-08-2019 12:48 PM

I put dull or broken needles of any sort in my husband's 'sharps' container. Not having one of those, you could put them in a metal or plastic container, like a prescription meds one with screw-on lid, and when full, put in trash.

Rhonda K 07-08-2019 01:08 PM

I use a few sticky notes. Blue painters tape to hold the needle or rotary blade on the note. Tape well. Old crystal lite containers hold the used discards. The container is taped shut when it is time to put in the trash.

Lois0719 07-08-2019 01:19 PM

Thank you all. Your ideas are great and you solved my problem. I was having a brain freeze and you all helped it back into gear !

SueZQ from MN 07-08-2019 01:54 PM

I save my dull or broken needles in a pill bottle and take them with me when I have a drs. appointment and they put them in with their waste needles.

Iceblossom 07-08-2019 02:37 PM

I put painters tape on my blades. People look at me strangely sometimes on why I have a roll of it in my sewing kit but I use it a lot in a lot of different ways. Painters tape and parchment paper -- can't hardly quilt without them!

I also have a sharps container for my testing supplies. In my area I am to fill a pop or similar bottle and then tape the cap on and put in my trash. In other nearby communities they don't allow that and want them to go to sharps disposals, which are often at pharmacies. (We also are supposed to take our new-fangled used lightbulbs to most home improvement stores, and Goodwill has a contract to accept dead appliances). If they are going to require us to properly dispose of stuff it works a lot easier if they make it easy like the stores accepting items.

And like SueZQ says, my doctor never minds if I have a couple extras sharps to dispose of at our meetings (it's usually where I clean out my traveling kit). I don't think most offices would flinch at a pill bottle full of whatever.

QuiltE 07-08-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8274872)
..........Painters tape and parchment paper -- can't hardly quilt without them!..............

Totallllllly Agreeeeeeeeee!!! :D

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8274872)
...........my doctor never minds if I have a couple extras sharps to dispose of at our meetings (it's usually where I clean out my traveling kit). I don't think most offices would flinch at a pill bottle full of whatever.

Good that they will accept them .... However it is best to verify first, rather than assume.

I have found that many medical sharps programs will not accept anything but medical sharps!

GingerK 07-08-2019 03:02 PM

I use an empty Kraft parmesan cheese dispenser. The large flap in the lid will accept my blades and like QuiltE it will be a long time before it is full.

BonnieJP 07-09-2019 01:40 AM

I usually purchase Schmetz needles that come in a hard plastic box. I save the old box, mark an X on the front, then put the old needles in there. It's nice and small and doesn't take much room in my sewing gear. I like the piggy bank idea if would look cute in my sewing nook.

Bonnie