Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-problem-t65961.html)

Roberta 09-21-2010 07:58 AM

I have a Janome machine, just got it out of the shop after a full service. I was sewing along fine when all of a sudden it started making a "thunking" noise. I took out the material from under it and found the thread from the top was getting caught around the little lip that the bobbin case is supposed to up against. I thought it might have not been threaded correctly, did it over and over and over, changed bobbin's etc. but it still catches in that one section.

Any idea what could be wrong? I can't get the machine back to the shop because I can't drive that distance so I'm stuck until hubby gets back from a FEMA assignment in WI.

cherylynne 09-21-2010 07:59 AM

Did you try changing the needle?

sharon b 09-21-2010 08:01 AM

Also try a different bobbin ?

hobo2000 09-21-2010 08:11 AM

Look at your manual and make sure your bobbin is clicking into the right place and that it looks like the picture. Its a top loading right? Then pull the thread into the hole in the bobbin cover and slide it closed. My Janome bobbin will go in the wrong way and won't work then I pull it out and reset it. Hope it works.

Kathy N 09-21-2010 04:57 PM

Mine did the same thing. I ended up taking it all apart and cleaning the daylights out of the bobbin case area and then I put a fresh bobbin, needle and a different spool of thread. I then turned the machine off and turned it back on again so it would reset to a straight stitch and it worked. I'm not sure which one it was that was the answer but out of the combination it corrected the problem. Good Luck!

grammyp 09-21-2010 05:28 PM

My Janome does that from time to time. I usually just take out the bobbin assembly and clean it really well and it stops. Mine doesn't "thunk" but the top thread does get caught and it quits sewing.

ConnieF 09-21-2010 10:47 PM

sounds like a take up lever problem, is the thread slipping out of it and do you have a tennsion that you have to make sure the thread pops when you thread it?

Sew Krazy Girl 09-21-2010 11:34 PM

Do all of the above, remove bobbin completely, use "air" to blow out any loose threads; (I keep a can close and "blow" every time I change the bobbin); rewind the bobbin; only use Janome bobbins; rethread the spool thread; replace the needle and hope it all comes together. Good Luck!

craftybear 09-21-2010 11:35 PM

Good Luck, I hope you get it fixed soon

Lacelady 09-22-2010 12:28 AM

I don't have a Janome, but it sounds as if you are doing all the right things, except that I was told never to use air to blow around inside, because you end up blowing dust etc further into the machine where it would cost a lot to get it cleaned out. I hope that isn't the problem.

BTW, what did your repair man do to it, returning it in a condition that it doesn't sew?