Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-problems-t156862.html)

linda701 09-29-2011 04:31 PM

I've been trying to practice on free motion quilting but it seems like everytime I do, my machine ends up in the shop. It keeps jumping time. It's a new machine viking sapphire. My hubby bought it for me back in the spring. Has anyone else had problems like this when trying to learn free motion? Any reply would be appreciated.

katier825 09-29-2011 04:36 PM

I also have a Viking Sapphire...but I don't understand what kind of trouble you are having. Can you try to explain?

feffertim 09-29-2011 04:43 PM

I also have a Viking Sapphire. I do have trouble with FMQ but it's because of me, not the machine. I just need to practice more. What problems are you having

linda701 09-29-2011 04:44 PM

It knots up on the back side of the fabric, the needle is hitting the throat plate when it sews and it won't pick up the bobbin thread. It's been in the shop more than home. I'm half afraid to use it because everytime I do, it ends up in the shop.

katier825 09-29-2011 04:48 PM

Are you pulling the bobbin thread up when you start? If you don't, you will get the knots. The needle hitting the throat plate is because you are moving the fabric too fast. Not sure about the bobbin thread since I didn't have that issue. Keep the speed of the machine faster than the speed you move the quilt around. It takes lots of practice.

What foot are you using? I didn't like the R foot that came with it, so I got a spring foot with the clear base. I saw instant improvement when I started using it.

leatheflea 09-30-2011 03:27 AM

I dont have a viking but if your hitting the needle plate your are moving the fabric to fast causing the needle to bend. When I fm I put the speed as high as it will go the stitch length as small as it will go, needle in the center position. Pull up bottom thread with first stitch.

Hinterland 09-30-2011 03:52 AM

First, when you thread the bobbin area, make sure you hear a little click when you pull the thread through the guide on the front of the bobbin case. The machine should be set up for FMQ through the tools menu. There are settings for the R foot and for the spring foot.

There could be two reasons why the needle is hitting the throat plate. If you haven't done this a lot, you might be tense and pulling the fabric and needle over. The other reason is the thread might be hanging up on something, so look at the thread path. It could be as simple as getting caught on the notch on the thread spool.

I found a Viking Sapphire group on yahoo, that has been very helpful in troubleshooting problems. It's not the most active group, but if you join and send an email, they're very helpful.

Oh, and I don't understand why your dealer isn't helping you with this! If they haven't already, ask them for classes or individual help. This is an expensive machine and they should help you out.

Janet

PaperPrincess 09-30-2011 05:43 AM

A bit further explanation of the needle hitting the plate. The needle has to come completely out of the fabric before you can move the fabric for the next stitch. If the needle hasn't cleared, it can be deflected (bent) and so it hits the plate. If you hit the plate with the needle, it can throw the machine out of time. What foot are you using? Viking makes a spring foot that holds the fabric down when the stitch is made, minimizing the possibility that the needle will be trapped. My Viking has a special setting for this foot. If you are having so many issues, I would see if there is a FMQ class that you can take. I think an actual class on FMQ is really helpful. It's one skill that really benefits from hands on instruction.

Hinterland 09-30-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
If you are having so many issues, I would see if there is a FMQ class that you can take. I think an actual class on FMQ is really helpful. It's one skill that really benefits from hands on instruction.

I think you're right.

While the dealer should help, my dealer was less than useful because he had no clue about FMQ and how the stitches should look.

Oh, and if you've hit the throat plate a lot, you may have a nick or burr on it which will snag the thread, causing even more hits.

Janet