Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-problems-t243193.html)

carolstickelmaier 03-14-2014 09:59 AM

sewing machine problems

Ok girls, Here's my problem. I have a Viking Sapphire 870. Have looked at other brands including the pricey ones. My 870 is overheating and skipping stitches..It could be expensive! I am now considering the Viking 962. I am not in a position to replace my plastic inserts and portable table tops to fit a new machine. They say the 962 measures the same as my 870. So-ooo has anyone got an opinion of the 962? Heard anything troubling about them. I don't want to buy new with the same problem and have asked around and been told the 870 and 875 have the same problems. My machine is about 6 years old and I admit I have used it a lot! So maybe it is time to give it a decent burial. But only if the expense is too high to warrant repairs. HELP! Also they no longer manufacture the 870 or 875.

beaglelady 03-14-2014 10:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your machine. :( I have a Sapphire 870 as well and love it. I have had it for about 6 years and use it a lot, so hope mine doesn't start giving me trouble. So far, so good. I hope it doesn't cost too much to have your machine repaired. A machine that expensive (at least I thought it was expensive) should last more than 6 years!

Charming 03-14-2014 11:19 AM

I have had the Viking 875 for almost 4 years and loved it and I exchanged with the 960 and love that one too. I have had the new one for few months now and no issues at all. I can't help much with the insert because with the 875 I was using the table that came with the emareld 215 and now I got the viking new white extension table for my new 960. Let me know if you have any more questions.

NJ Quilter 03-14-2014 01:23 PM

I'm very surprised to hear you are having those issues with that machine. My friend has that one and has not had any issues at all. My older platinum is still going gangbusters. If the problem is that serious, possibly it's still a warranty issue. Aren't they warrantied for 20 yrs for those type issues?

carolstickelmaier 03-14-2014 02:12 PM

Oh warranty for 20 years Wow. I sure hope I have some discount when time to pay. That would be extremely nice. When I first bought it we had problems with overheating and the feed dogs would not move until it cooled down. They fixed that and no further issues. With a little luck this issue will involve same parts keeping my fingers crossed! I love that machine and do not want to change if I don't have to.

Lori S 03-14-2014 02:21 PM

I would definitely check on warranty ... 20 years. I am not sure if that covers labor. The computer board is not the full twenty( not sure how long).. so hope it is not that. I would make a call to dealer for warranty specifics.

ManiacQuilter2 03-14-2014 04:11 PM

Have you had it in for a yearly service maintenance?? I know that I am overdue with taking my Bernina in. Sometimes skipping stitches may just need the bobbin adjusted. When you take your machine in, be sure to have your warranty papers with you. Good Luck. It may just need to be adjusted.

calla 03-14-2014 04:26 PM

Do you plug directly into the wall outlet? Not using an extension cord? I don't know if that makes any difference, just wondering............also I was told I do have a 20 yr warrenty with my Designer 1 but only on the electrical, when I purchased it.............. but with all warrenties, they are only as good the mfg, or dealer is willing to stand behind it. ...........good luck...........calla

joyce blint 03-15-2014 06:44 AM

I would recommend you consider a checking to see if a model you want is available as a trade-in. Both my Designer I and my Rose were used models and I've had them 4 and 6 yrs without any problems. Plus both were greatly reduced from new price.

Hulalulu 03-15-2014 08:50 AM

The 960 and 930 are both the same footprint as your 870. Since you don't mention a service contract, chances are your repair might be extensive. I have seen both 960Q and 930 machines (own a 870Q - about 5 years old, and keep it under contract, no big problems to date, use the machine alot). The 930 is a slight upgrade to the 870 - and the "sewing advisor" panel, which you are familiar with, is identical. The 960Q has a different interface, using a stylus, and allows you to download new stitches via your computer and transfer them to the 960Q.

There is a BIG promotion on the 930 going on right now -- thru the end of March. With ANY tradein -- the manufacturer's suggested retail price is dropped to $1,299. You can see the details of this offer -- google Husquvarna Viking -- and when you get to the site, click on "promotions". This is really a great price for this machine. It's less than my "on sale price" for the 870Q back when. This is still alot of money -- and perhaps getting a quote on repairing your 870 might be worth thinking about. And do check all the features on the new one, to make sure it has those which you use the most on your 870 -- I could have missed something looking at it with my eyes, we all have different "must haves" on your machines.
Finding the warranty information on their website is difficult, I finally gave up -- do think it is 25 years on the motor, but don't know if labor is included.