Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine and project totes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-project-totes-t272336.html)

petthefabric 11-16-2015 08:15 PM

Sewing machine and project totes

What totes have you used with success?

Just blew through 2 more totes today. The seam split open on one. The other is too cumbersome and too small for my 19" base length machine-gave it to a sewing friend who's on a tight budget. Then there is one that the lining is ripping to shreads. One ($225) the telescoping handle stopped telescoping and couldn't get it into the car. One, the legs broke off. One so large that everything fit into it-yea!- took 2 of us to put it into the car. Also have the XXL Tuto for the Bernina 830. The machine is so heavy it made the bottom panel permanently sag, and I can't get it into the car by myself, and the wheels have damaged the floor of the baggage compartment in our SUV. I've decided the 830 isn't portable. I did buy a MAN TOY box from Orchard Supply (maybe it won't break), but I think it's too heavy with nothing in it. Back to the store it goes.

Now I'm using the $30 colapsable file boxes from office supply for my small machine. When it breaks, I'll buy another. Still need a tote for a machine with a 19" base length that isn't so big that it weighs too much to lift. Think I might get a cheapy from JoAnns and consider it disposable, just keep replacing it.

quiltingcandy 11-16-2015 08:28 PM

I have the Large Tuto tote for my Janome MC 6600P, but I am afraid if anything happened to it that I would be very upset, so it stays home except for travel to and from for servicing. It is heavy and I am afraid of dropping it . My travel machines are my featherweight or my Europro. The Europro is small but has a few stitches so works fine for those trips to quilt with friends. My Viking also fits the same tote - but the embroidery attachment does not fit, so it stays home too. My travel machine has a tote I got at Joann's years ago. It was on clearance and is still going strong. I got one for my sister and hers is still holding up too. The one I got for her came with a case on top for all those extras you need, it straps to the top which is very convenient.

A friend of mine used the collapsable box - she uses it for a small Brother machine. It works for her.

DOTTYMO 11-16-2015 11:01 PM

Some in my group are using suitcases as a machine tote. They are working very well.

Feathers-N-Fur 11-17-2015 03:21 AM

Target has a Singer rolling case for $60 ish. It isn't fancy, but has worked for me for a year with no issues. One reviewer did have issues with the telescoping handle though.

QuiltMom2 11-17-2015 04:32 AM

There's a new Walmart "super" store in my area, with a fabric dept. (might be useful if I'm desperate at 11:30PM you quilters will know what I mean!!) Anyway, I think there was some sort of rolling carrier alongside the sewing machines. I could use one for an old "portable" Kenmore I occasionally take out. That machine was a lot more "portable" 40 years ago!

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2015 05:57 AM

I made my own with corduroy. I covered those plastic 1" width with cotton quilting fabric and ran the handle under the bag twice making them into handles. I should have taken a photo of it before I donated my old Singer to my church (for young girls anxious to learn to quilt). I had a wide jacket zipper to close up the top. Made it in the early 70s so my Singer traveled cross country many times.

Sewnoma 11-17-2015 07:02 AM

I don't have a good answer - I have one I got for Christmas last year but the telescoping handle is really fiddly and made of plastic so I don't think it's going to last long. I kind of like the idea of just making a large, well-padded soft bag for them.

Before I had this case, I would just make a nest of quilts in my trunk when I had to take my machines anywhere. I still do that when I take my big machine anywhere as it's way too large for the case I have. One quilt goes under the machine, another on top and wrapped over the sides, and the whole bundle sort of wedges into my (tiny) trunk nice and snug next to the wooden box I keep in there. It's still "naked" when I'm actually carrying it around, but that's just from the car and back, not a big deal.

GEMRM 11-17-2015 05:07 PM

I made a quilted bag with grab handles on the sides, a drawstring top and closing flap. I have a thin piece of plywood for a firm bottom.I also added a Velcro flap on the back - that was to attach it to a small handcart that I got at Costco. The handcart has larger wheels than a tote which makes it good for uneven ground/gravel. It also folds almost flat.
When I take my machine anywhere, the tote weighs very little - I use the Velcro flap to hold it on the cart, wheel it to the car. Unfasten the Velcro to lift my machine to the back seat, and use a seat belt to hold my machine secure. (No way I want that baby falling, or if I end up in a major accident, I don't want it becoming a projectile aimed at me!)
I fold the cart and put it on the floor in front of the machine.
If you're really in a hurry to make a bag/tote, you can use prequilted fabric.
I think I posted this combination on here when I made it, but I'll have to check.

jeanharville 11-17-2015 07:51 PM

I've been using mine for 5+ years. It was a $79 or $89 rolling tote with telescoping handle on sale for $49.00 at Joann's. And it till looks and works like new. I only carry my light weight Janome in it with plenty of room for everything I need in class or at my children's' homes.

petthefabric 11-18-2015 01:14 AM

Thanks Ladies. I'm very conscience of carry weight on one side of my body because I've had back surgery and will need another within 5 years. So I want wheels. Maybe a hand cart with a cover on the machine.... Or JoAnn's