Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine on sale at Costco (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-sale-costco-t232835.html)

MaggieLou 10-22-2013 06:51 AM

I have a Brother machine I bought from Costco about 6 or 7 years ago. I've had no problems with it. The only thing with most of the newer machines is they don't do heavy fabrics and seams well. If I'm sewing on denim or anything heavy I use my vintage Kenmore.

salederer 10-22-2013 06:56 AM

I bought a brother at Costco several years ago when I first started quilting. It is still purring along. I will not buy any sewing machines at Wal-mart. Wal-mart tells the manufacturer what they will pay and then it is up to the manufacturer to get it made for that price. This results in short cuts and cheaper materials. Just my opinion. I've had both a microwave and TV fall apart in the first year (both bought from walmart). Unfortunately I live in a small town and Wal-mart is all we have to shop from.

Lady Diana 10-22-2013 08:36 AM

If it is the Project Runway Brother, Run Away! It made a news story where the tech opened it up and there was NO Metal frame inside.....the only thing holding everything together was the outside plastic shell, thus the light weight of the machine. Be careful.

benson1 10-22-2013 10:01 AM

my friend bought one and brouht it to class yes it is a good machine and it does everthing it for 134.00 seams like a good price to me

cricket_iscute 10-22-2013 11:09 AM

I understand that Brother makes two qualities of machine. They sell the lower quality to Walmart and similar stores and the high-end quality at sewing machine dealers. I've heard good things about the latter, bad things about the former. I once took apart a Walmart Brother machine to repair it for someone, and my opinion about the quality of that machine was very low. In fact, the parts were so weak - especially the tensioneer - that it was not fixable without a donor machine.

If it were me and I was looking for an inexpensive machine, I would wait until the time between Black Friday and the end of the year, and buy a Janome on sale. The quality of the cheaper Janomes is better than the quality of the cheaper Brothers, in my experience. Or, better yet, a 1960s or earlier good-quality vintage machine. (Don't buy Singer from the 1970s onward! The same goes for Simplicity.)

Lucio 10-22-2013 11:49 AM

I'd take a chance on it because you just can't beat Costco's return policy.

Steady Stiching 10-22-2013 02:16 PM

Brother sewing machines are made by the same company that makes Babylock I believe.

Skittl1321 10-22-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching (Post 6362841)
Brother sewing machines are made by the same company that makes Babylock I believe.

Yep. Brother.

However, it is true that the mass-market machines are lower quality than the machines available only through dealers. They do that to hit a price point. (There are a few machines that overlap mass market and dealer levels. A dealer actually told me that a machine he can sell but is also available at Walmart to just buy it there and he'll sell me a warranty- he can't price it that low.)

However, a mass market machine at Costco, Walmart, Amazon are all the same; the CS6000i isn't different at one place over another.

nygal 10-22-2013 02:49 PM

I didn't buy any of my Brother' machines from Walmart but I do own three different ones and I love them all. I've never had a problem yet.

Christine- 10-22-2013 03:26 PM

I bought the one from Costco last December and just love it. I needed a machine to travel and this one is wonderful. I take it to my sewing bee every other week. But I've used Brother sewing machines for almost 2 decades. I've owned a Brother ULT, Brother 8200, Brother 8500, one from WalMart and now this one from Costco. The only one that gave me trouble was one I bought from WalMart 10 yrs ago. It only lasted a few months.

I highly recommend buying the one from Costco. Your daughter will love sewing with it.