Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Savvy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-savvy-t198027.html)

Maggieloe 08-23-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5455830)
If this was mentioned, I missed it and I apologize. One needs to remember that when purchasing a TOL machine like a Babylock or Bernina you are also paying for the service and support of the shop you buy it from. You are not buying those from walmart or on line.

I want those stores to stay in business and I would rather pay a little more to them to help with that than supporting the huge conglomerates that drive every "little guy" out of business. So, I have a nice mix of vintage Singers, Babylock and Janome but I am sure that the others are all fine machines.

I agree - I want them to stay in business, but frankly if they are charging $1899 for a machine you can get on the internet for $529, they aren't going to. As customers we need to be knowledgeable. If we want the service they offer we need to be willing to pay the extra price. But it doesn't mean we need to be taken advantage of.

jcrow 08-23-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5455830)
If this was mentioned, I missed it and I apologize. One needs to remember that when purchasing a TOL machine like a Babylock or Bernina you are also paying for the service and support of the shop you buy it from. You are not buying those from walmart or on line.

I want those stores to stay in business and I would rather pay a little more to them to help with that than supporting the huge conglomerates that drive every "little guy" out of business. So, I have a nice mix of vintage Singers, Babylock and Janome but I am sure that the others are all fine machines.

I agree. I've had my machine over 2 years and I get free lessons for as long as I like. There is a lot to my machine and my dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, so I love that I can continue to go to him for lessons for as long as I like. Plus, whenever I have a problem, I take it in and he fixes it for free. Usually it's thread wrapped around the bobbin case and that is something I cannot fix. Usually it's owner error and he's happy to help for free. I know my other machine, I take it to that dealer and they charge me $79 just for starts, no matter what is wrong with it. I like my more expensive machine and all the free help and classes. I know a lot of people don't like people who own nicer machines, but isn't it a choice we get to make?

roselady 08-25-2012 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maggieloe (Post 5461444)
I agree - I want them to stay in business, but frankly if they are charging $1899 for a machine you can get on the internet for $529, they aren't going to. As customers we need to be knowledgeable. If we want the service they offer we need to be willing to pay the extra price. But it doesn't mean we need to be taken advantage of.

I agree!!! I am in the market for a new machine, my most recent one I bought new in 1986! If I am willing to pay the high prices in a small local store I sure think I should get what I pay for EVEN if I were to move in a year or two. That could be my situation. We are looking to make a retirement move but aren't sure when that will be. I started looking at machines a year ago and am getting very anxious to get a new one, but if we move soon I will loose out on the classes that I will have paid for. In my situation the classes will be vital, since my machine is so old, it will be learning a new language for me. Like a car, the entire warrenty and classes should go with you.