Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Service (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-service-t109991.html)

NanaSews 03-23-2011 06:57 AM

I don't know if this is reasonable or not but I'm absolutely beside myself over Sears taking 3-5 weeks to do routine service & adjustments on a Kenmore sewing machine!! I've sent emails, made phone calls until my fingers are sore trying to find out why, oh why, does it take 3-5 weeks?? I finally was able to speak to the local store manager. He gave me a song and dance, the politically correct statement! I'm so mad I could just....spit! Has anyone else run into this??

emmah 03-23-2011 07:45 AM

Seems like nowdays, "service" doesn't mean anything good. I had to take a car in for repair, so I made an appointment a couple days in advance, and they didn't even look at it the first day. It took them three days to get it done!

Companies spends big bucks advertising to sell you something. I wish they would put some of that money into helping you when something is not right.

Scissor Queen 03-23-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by NanaSews
I don't know if this is reasonable or not but I'm absolutely beside myself over Sears taking 3-5 weeks to do routine service & adjustments on a Kenmore sewing machine!! I've sent emails, made phone calls until my fingers are sore trying to find out why, oh why, does it take 3-5 weeks?? I finally was able to speak to the local store manager. He gave me a song and dance, the politically correct statement! I'm so mad I could just....spit! Has anyone else run into this??

It's because your store sent it somewhere else to be serviced. They don't have an actual service department in the store for anything.

milp04 03-23-2011 08:00 AM

Hi Nana,

This is very long. Sorry I thought I was sending this as a PM.

I'm so sorry to hear about your service problems.

They probably send the machine to a repair service. This service could be anywhere. I would be more inclined to search out a local quilt shop for their service recommendation. Also most repair shops are very very busy, so waiting several weeks is not really unheard of. The time frame is quite normal from what some local repair shops quote for time turn around.

May I ask why you took the machine to Sears for service?

With repair shops associated with a quilt shop they will typically tell you up front how long the service turn around time is at the time you're dropping off your machine. It can then take longer if they have to order parts once they start on your machine.

With Sears, they're just not telling you up front how long the process is going to take and that is not good customer service practice.

This very situation is why you'll read that many quilters here at the board always have at least one backup machine. It can be an older machine. It may be the take along machine that they take to class. Many quilters have purchased the Janome Gem Platinum to take to class. They sometimes end using this machine for everyday. You may also want to get an entry level cheap machine to have for these occasions. The Gems are lighter in weight and smaller, most are 3/4 size machines. They work well for taking to class for these reasons. The higher end machine has more bells and whistles that quilters love to use.

I went to my local thrift store and found an older Singer machine. I started it up at the store and it seems to work fine. It does other than the bobbin winder doesn't work. I got a small SideWinder with a 50% coupon at JoAnns.

Also some have found good deals for an extra machine on craigslist or at freecycle. You might ask around to see if someone has an extra machine sitting around they don't want anymore and find a good backup machine.

Some quilters have recently been purchasing the older and vintage machines, some even have a treadle on hand for when the power goes out. The older machines quilters are getting are the older Singers and the Featherweight machines.

Hope this might help explain why it may be taking so long. I would definately search out a regular repair person. This may mean driving to another town, but may be worth it in the long run as you'll know exactly where your machine is located.

Pam M

jljack 03-23-2011 08:18 AM

I agree with Pam...taking your machine to a local repair shop is much more efficient, and you can go and get it if it takes too long. Also if something goes wrong after the repair you can go back directly to the person.

Unless a machine is still in warranty, I take it to my local repair shop. Much easier and less worry.

rusty quilter 03-23-2011 02:45 PM

I have to say, my new Traverse City dealer is incredible compared to the "big stores". I live 250 miles from my Bernina dealer, and have actually taken digital pictures of what the screen showed, and they call me on the phone, and tell me what to do. I can't believe how much easier this is than taking it in for ???

QuiltnNan 03-23-2011 02:45 PM

I agree, as well. Big stores sell lots of services but have other providers - kitchen countertops, carpeting, repairs, etc.

Queen 03-23-2011 02:59 PM

That is exactly why I don't shop at Sears. Several years ago, we sent in a vcr in to get repaired and they lost it! I haven't shopped there since.

Mary

NanaSews 03-23-2011 05:45 PM

I know they sent it to Georgia! I can drive to GA and back several times!! According to the store manager, it's because of the volume of repairs done at that service center. If that's the case, why doesn't Sears open another service center? I think I'll look for that back-up machine. This is just ridiculous! It's only routine service, cleaning and adjustments as needed. It's been 3 years since the last one was done! I was getting some clicking noises that hadn't been there before. Thanks for all the advice!! I feel better just venting!!

Stitchnripper 03-23-2011 05:48 PM

I've wondered if you buy a Kenmore from Sears made by Janome, would it be covered under a Janome warranty? Or would the Kenmore/Sears warranty be voided if serviced elsewhere?