Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-t151645.html)

nitza 09-10-2011 09:12 PM

I am a new quilter and sewer I have a Janome with just the basics and love it I just finished my first quilt full size on it, The machine did great me not so much, It also has the drop feed dogs so you can darn {or free motion quilt on it}.

Quilting Angel 09-11-2011 01:39 AM

I have a Brother SQ9000 that was 199.00. It has been a great machine....I love it. I also have a Janome 8050. Regular price is 379.00, but I got mine on sale for 279.00. It is a wonderful machine.

shelburn 09-11-2011 02:40 AM

I needed a backup machine not too long ago, to keep me from going crazy while my main machine was in surgery. Went on overstock.com and got a basic Janome for under $60 and am happy with it. Check this sight out for a good price!

vivsqt 09-11-2011 03:45 AM

I love my Janome 6500. They don't make that model anymore, but you can buy it online at several website for 1199. Or new basic model is the Janome 6300. I also have a nice little Kenmore that is on sale thru Sears for about $250. or $300.00 usually $450.00. They are good machines is you want a starter that is not too expensive.

Deborah12687 09-11-2011 05:03 AM

A nother place to look for sewing machines go to the pawn shops. I just missed buying a long arm for a nice price.

mudsprite 09-11-2011 08:33 AM

Please DO NOT BUY A SINGER, they are not really Singer anymore.

I prefer a Babylock. I know six gals in our quilting group that have Janome at home but they all bought Babylock Decorators Choice. I did too......I have four other very top of the line machines but use this machine for everything!!!!

I have seen them used on Ebay for more than half less then original cost. Going on five years and never a repair.

Joy is using a machine that is user friendly and that is so different from most other machines.

Good Luck - PS Sit down at one and sew, you will love the sound of the motor, smooth, quiet, strong.

RkayD 09-11-2011 08:38 AM

I bought my two older girls basic Singers. They are great! But honestly if I had to do it again I would go to the dealer and see what they have in trade in's. You could get a good machine with dealer support and service with a few bells and whistles. =)

Stitchnripper 09-11-2011 09:24 AM

I use a basic mechanical Brother that is a workhorse and hasn't given me any problems in the 7 years I've been using it. It isn't fussy about thread or bobbins, metal or plastic. I've been very satisfied with it. I also have some vintage machines. This one is my "go to"

quiltingcandy 09-11-2011 12:43 PM

My sister bought her "Brother" machine at Costco and loves it. It was a quilters version so came with a table. Or maybe find a nice used Singer 99 -15. They are workhorses and maintenance is easy and most can be done by them so lost cost.

KathieS 09-11-2011 01:47 PM

Have you considered a Sears Brand machine ? In Canada, they are made by Janome, but are much less money. I have one I love with 40 stitches that was less than $300.00 here and would probably be less in the US. There are also other Sears models available that are more basic for even less money. Just a thought.........