Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine table?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-table-t250578.html)

Kris P 07-24-2014 03:41 AM

I used to get the biggest headache and worst stiff shoulders when I'd go quilting at church where I had to sit with my machine on the table. One of the ladies suggested a boat seat cushion to sit on, and boy is it a life saver. My DH picked one up at Fleet Farm for $8. I store it in my Tutto rolling cart when my machine isn't in it, so I always remember to pack it when I'm packing up my machine. My friend also uses it when she comes for a sewing day and her machine sits on the table.

Two Cats 07-24-2014 04:21 AM

I should take a pic, but we took a computer desk with the slide out keyboard tray and cut a hole in the desk for the machine. Then in order to have the machine level with the desktop we only needed a 1 by 4 for the right height. I love it. The cubbies at the back hold notions, shears, books etc.

Kitty10628 07-24-2014 05:02 AM

Two Cats..... That sounds like a great idea!

w1613s 07-24-2014 05:18 AM

Get ready to laugh.

I am tall. I am nearsighted to the point of having to be aimed at the right wall come eye exam times. Okay, a slight exaggeration but very slight. Discovering trees had leaves was a wonder. I thought those were green halos. No, I wasn't old enough to drive when we made the nearsightedness discovery.

So between tall and very nearsighted, I have my machines raised. On a normal height surface, on upside down rectangular baking pans that rest on sheets of no slip shelf liner. One pan per machine. That 2" does the trick. Lowering my chair was a no go - elbows got in the way.

You may all wipe the tears of laughter from your faces, blow your noses, and keep on with what I hope is an especially nice day.

:-) Pat

paoberle 07-24-2014 07:55 AM

I use a 6 foot folding table (the kind you find in church halls) and a chair with adjustable height. I bought both when a former employer was moving and getting new furniture. Inexpensive and it works for me.

tlpa 07-24-2014 09:37 AM

I have a sewing table...not sure if it is a Giget, but it's similar. I find it too low for me....perfect height for me
is my dining room table....downside is there is no hole for the machine.

MargeD 07-24-2014 12:30 PM

I had my own secretarial business for nearly 10 years and I used the desk for the keyboard; so having my sewing machine on a 6 foot banquet table was about the same, although I know I might not hunch over so much if my table were lower. I have a craft table for my sewing machine with a 6 foot banquet table next to it, which works in the limited space in my bedroom. I really miss having my large dining room table for sandwiching my quilts, but that's not possible now in our apt., although I'm thinking of getting a folding table to bring out when I need to sandwich quilts, might make it easier.

ILoveToQuilt 07-24-2014 12:47 PM

Thanks for your answers to my bobbin question. I will stick with my "L" shaped Sauder (from the late 1990's) sewing cabinet.

purplefiend 07-24-2014 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Because I sew mostly with antique machines in a cabinet, I prefer to have my machine flush with the table. I have a Horn Quiltmate II for my more modern electric machines, 4 machines share the cabinet.
The pictures show 2 of the machines, all 4 of my machines have a free arm insert so any of them can use the cabinet. #1 machine is a Bernina 930, the other a Viking Sapphire 875.
Sharon in Texas

feffertim 07-24-2014 06:37 PM

I have two 'sew perfect tables' and they are wonderful. Very sturdy the height is adjustable and they make custom inserts for any machine. The best on the market in my opinion