Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine tables (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-tables-t203040.html)

AliKat 10-12-2012 10:21 PM

I'm not sure what you are really wanting. Something for use only in your home so that the sewing area is flush with the rest of t he surface ... or ... something to take with you. I am guessing at the first one.

If $ is a concern and you don't want a cabinet where you can lower the machine when not in use, then miss_ticky2 has a good idea. Use an old table or desk and have someone cut out an area for you machine and build a lower shelf to place you machine. You can get a local plastic company to make you an inset if you want [we have a great one here in Phoenix.] With this you can set the size of the table/desk you want to use.

You could also buy a large extention table to fit your machine then use an adjustable Lifetime table for your base or a table/desk.

It all depends on the amount of $ you want to spend, the space you have, and the size quilts you make.

At the end of our annual Quilt, Sew, & Craft Show down here the vendors sell their cabinets for a discount.

I prefer my Horne cabinet because I have a 2 bedroom townhome and need the room. I can put an adjustable Lifetime table at the back end if I am working on a larger project and another on the side by me. I like that I can put my machine away when company comes. This esp since my studio [2nd bedroom] and a HQ16 in it as well as my sewing/quilting stuff.

ali

carla m 10-13-2012 05:52 AM

i have the walmart table and i love it it has a shelf underneath a door with shelves on the right hand side storage in the main door which i keep open all the time to support the drop leaf on the left side which gives you more table space it didnt look too hard to put together my mil has 2 and she put hers together hershelf but my hubby put mine together for me. id say its one of the best sewing purchases ive made.
carla m

Rose Marie 10-13-2012 06:28 AM

I bought my table for my oversized machine back when they did not make tables for them. Only one called Bertha was made and boy was it a problem to put togather and cost over $500.
Now you can even get a Sew Ez table that fits.
Bertha is a big table with a back section that I dont even have room to use so it just hangs down. It is 7 feet long with both the extensions up. It also has a lift.

Jackie R 10-13-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 5580556)
I just picked up my Walmart ship to store :)-- it is still out in the bed of my truck - it is the Sauder sewing and craft table for total 128.52 (tax included) I have great hopes for it - wanted something for the corner of the family room so i could sew and "watch" TV at the same time.....i'll be glad to let you know what i think on Monday after we've put it together and i get to decide what i think --- that is...if you'd like an opinion on it.

Yes, I would love to hear from you as to how you like the Sauder sewing table and how difficult it was to assemble.

Jackie R 10-13-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Looks like I might be going in the direction of the Walmart sewing table so far, if PenniF gives me a positive feedback after hers is assembled in a couple of days. Thanks again to all.

brenwalt 10-14-2012 03:38 AM

Here's my solution: Use a "personal table" from office max - height is adjustable. Perfect for sewing machine. Then have your hubby cut a table that will fit the throat of your sewing machine. I used an 18 x 24 sheet of 1/4" acrylic available at Home Depot. Used 3/4" dowels cut to necessary height. This makes an ideal table. I had looked at the professionally available tables at all price ranges and came up with my own solution which I like even better. Now for the "quilting" part: I purchased two 2' x 4' folding, adjustable ht. tables from Sam's Club and this is the totally most perfect solution for sewing. Easily portable. Very functional. Good luck!!

KyKaren1949 10-14-2012 03:49 AM

I bought the Sew EZ table, primarily to take to workshops and retreats. However, I've had it set up at home and use it constantly to sew. You can order different inserts for the various machines you use. I bought an extra insert to go with my Featherweight sewing machines. There is absolutely no vibration and I love it. If you don't plan to be traveling with it, I would think the Walmart table would be just perfect though.

rakerlm 10-14-2012 03:56 AM

I am very short and have never had a table the right height for sewing. I bought a folding table at Costco with adjustable legs. Now I am going to purchase an extension table for my machine that will fit both my Bernina and my Janome 10001. It is wonderful sitting at the right height now!

barney 10-14-2012 04:03 AM

I bought a perfect sewing table at a garage sale for&5.00. The recessed hole fit my machine with just a small space in the back which I sealed with contact. It has an extension so lots of sewing space. Perfect condition.

lillybeck 10-14-2012 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]369528[/ATTACH]I love my table. It is a dining table that I paid 2o dollars fo, used it 10 yrs. and then satarted using it for my sewing table. My son cut a place to set the machine down into and it is wonderful. plenty of room on the left side to spread out.