Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine for the Zombie Apocalypse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-zombie-apocalypse-t270092.html)

linkd 09-17-2015 12:47 PM

Sewing Machine for the Zombie Apocalypse

Bearisgrey posted a thread about which machine of yours you would rescue if you could only take one. That got me to thinking. With more time to plan than the folks that were hit by the local fires here, which sewing machine would you recommend as a survival tool. I'm not much of a 'prepper' .... I joke with my son and some of his friends who do think about it, that my contribution is a little rural acreage, some seeds to plant next year and a motley, moth eaten collection of wool blankets (also way too much stash - but it includes batting LOL). But if you were to look for a machine to use in a pinch or a long term emergency what would you get? Or would a lot of needles and thread (and a threader - my eyes are shot) be enough.

What other sewing supplies do you think you should have on hand? (We sew, let's leave the guns out of this one.)

What kind of fabric?

ManiacQuilter2 09-17-2015 01:05 PM

Where I use to live, I have been evacuated before so I always kept a bag with my notions in it. It is the most scary thing having to be evacuated.

CanoePam 09-17-2015 02:20 PM

If the zombie apocalypse gave me adequate time to get what I wanted (and there was no electricity), I would bring my hand crank Singer 201 portable (a beautiful lotus design!) along with size 12, 14, and 16 needles and a bunch of bobbins and thread. Pins, scissors, rulers, machine oil, buttons and other fasteners, and some seam measuring items.

Come me to think of it, I really do need to get that beauty out and put her through her paces.

Pam

lynnie 09-17-2015 03:41 PM

i'd probably bring my "go" bag. my friend at the bee made me a bag with supplies and scissors and a threader. that would hold me for awhile. That's of course, if I didn't have to weave my own fabric. that's another story.

Stitchnripper 09-17-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7320203)
i'd probably bring my "go" bag. my friend at the bee made me a bag with supplies and scissors and a threader. that would hold me for awhile. That's of course, if I didn't have to weave my own fabric. that's another story.

Lynnie, I wish we had a "like" button because I would like your post!!!!

Material Witness 09-17-2015 04:40 PM

I've thought about this, and concluded that in the apocalypse, there would probably be more important things to do than make quilts. However, am getting my treadle up to speed, and say here as this is the best place to escape to.

mckwilter 09-18-2015 10:58 AM

If there was enough warning, I would probably take my treadle, an oil lamp and oil, my Bionic Gear Bag, cones of thread and as much fabric as I could put in one file box.