Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines with Built in Walking Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-built-walking-foot-t200020.html)

KyKaren1949 09-11-2012 05:34 AM

My Janome 6600 has the Accufeed! Love it!

romanojg 09-11-2012 05:38 AM

Vikings newest interchangeable walking foot may not be built in but it is awesome. You can go in reverse, it has a 1/4in interchangeable foot, it can do zigzag and many other things. I think so far there are 4 or 5 interchangeable feet that goes to the walking foot that allows you to do so much more than the other walking feet.

Roberta 09-11-2012 06:11 AM

Question regarding the Janome built in walking foot.

My DH recently bought this Janome for me and even took me back up the the LQS so I could ask about that feature but I'm still not sure I "get" it. You have to take the "ankle" off the machine, that was the first huh? moment I had. I'm assuming that's the part that holds the regular foot on?

She then said to lift the lever to the highest position then lower that foot from the back? I tried that once and it wouldn't sew. Could it have been because I had the feed dogs UP?

I'm embarassed to drive up there and ask again so thought I turn to someone on the list who has the machine and can guide me through this.

DonnaC 09-11-2012 06:22 AM

I also have the Singer Quantum L-500 with the built-in walking foot. In my opinion, that's one of the best features of the machine; it works great.

I noticed that the machine is no longer listed on Singer's website, so I guess it is discontinued. I googled and found one for sale on Amazon, if you're still looking.

SooBDo 09-11-2012 06:29 AM

Roberta, that sounds similar to the Elna 740 mechanism. There is a regular and a 1/4" walking foot that you install on the "ankle" or shaft. The foot lever does have three positions. After you've installed the walking foot, raise the position to the highest spot, and at that time, you can bring the top walking feet down. They should seat within the walking foot you just installed. It's a little funny feeling at first. BUT, the advantage is that all the walking feet are driven by and resident on the machine, and not on the foot itself. I hope this helps. After you get it, this is really a great feature!

QuiltE 09-11-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 5506334)
She then said to lift the lever to the highest position then lower that foot from the back? I tried that once and it wouldn't sew. Could it have been because I had the feed dogs UP?

You take it up the extra height, to get the space for the accufeed to swing down and into the main foot so they interlock.
Leave the feed dogs UP.
Then sew as normal, lowering the foot in the normal way to your machine.

It does explain it in your manual.
And I'm sure there are lots of videos online.
Plus ... have you not had the lessons that go with your machine? Contact the dealer and arrange to take the lessons .. they are well worth the time (and perhaps distance) so you can get full benefit from using your machine!

linhawk 09-11-2012 06:58 AM

My Elna 7300 has it too.

aeble 09-11-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5502620)
and a hallelujah to Janome for it! :)

Amen to that! I'm amazed almost daily at what the Janome Horizon 7700 can handle and love my accufeed foot so much, I've put the 1/4" accufeed foot on my Christmas wish list.

QuiltE 09-11-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by aeble (Post 5506462)
Amen to that! I'm amazed almost daily at what the Janome Horizon 7700 can handle and love my accufeed foot so much, I've put the 1/4" accufeed foot on my Christmas wish list.

And partner it up with the SITD foot too! :)

matraina 09-11-2012 07:36 AM

My Bernina 820 QE has what is called a Dual Feed. I believe it's pretty much the same as the different ones mentioned above.