Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines That are Necessary to Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-necessary-quilting-t98086.html)

libber 02-11-2011 08:10 AM

If the one from the 40's is a Singer, 201 possibly, that was back when Singer made them from cast iron, exception FW's. Mine sews so steadily it is like "driving a Cadillac down the highway with just a baby finger on the wheel. I have 2 other newer machines, I seem to use the 201 the most.

mshawii 02-11-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I have a Pfaff Creative 4.0. It has a built in walking foot and a 10.5 inch throat. I have quilted several smaller quilts and it works wonderfully. I am sure I could quilt larger ones too, but I just haven't. There is an embroidery unit that goes with it, I just don't have the time to do the embroidery so I didn't spend the money to get it.

I have had Pfaff machines for 30 years and I wouldn't own anything else. I am sure most ladies feel the same way about their machines. It takes quite a bit of research to find one that fits you. But the research is well worth the time if you find a machine that you love.

I have this same sewing machine. I got it on sale between Christmas a New Years, a year ago, It was $1900 and I got the surround table as an add on, for free. I love this machine. It just purrs. I have the embroidery unit but would never use it as that isn't my thing. Jan

MiMi in Lutz 02-11-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The quilt I am finishing has been completely done on a 1956 Singer 301A. With the addition of a 1/4 inch foot, the machine has done a fantastic job. I have quilted a queen size quilt on my 1974 Elna that only has a 6 3/4 inch harp (space between the needle and the pillar.) The Singer has a slightly larger space. As the previous poster indicated, what you have is fine if it sews with a nice strong stitch balanced between the top and bottom tensions. I am ready to do my first FMQ ever. I'm not sure which machine to use. The Singer does a good sample, but I have better speed control with the Elna.

I sure would like to know which machine you end up using for the FMQ. I have a Singer 301. Love how it sews. Such a wonderful old machine. Also have a new Sapphire (Viking) and I really prefer the 301, but I have not used the 301 for FMQ yet.

sylvia77 02-11-2011 05:53 PM

I have a viking Designer SE and I quilt all of my king size quilts with the embroidery unit, works great!

Jo Mama 02-12-2011 10:41 AM

If you are going to use machine(s) for quilting only then a machine with a wide throat would be good because you can piece the quilt and then machine quilt it. If you do all sorts of sewing then a good multi-purpose sewing machine and a wide throat machine would work well. It all depends on your buget. You can spend 100K and get everything anyone would ever want. However, that is probably not the case. I have a Viking Mega-Quilter and a Grace Frame for machine quilting and for piecing and regular sewing I have a Bernina Aurora 440QE and a 1995 Pfaff 7550 to take to classes, etc.

IBQUILTIN 02-13-2011 10:57 AM

I have two Viking machines, and cannot live without either of them. I quilt King Size quilts on them all the time