Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machines for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-quilters-t36980.html)

ThePope 02-15-2010 12:54 PM

I'm looking to replace my husqvarna Quilter I with one that has dual feeds....which I think only Pfaff and now Baby Lock have ?
I was told just yesterday that the dual feed patent that Pfaff had has expired....so many machines to choose from.

Patchwork Pam 02-15-2010 01:06 PM

I love my pfaff.

lisalovesquilting 02-15-2010 03:38 PM

Some Janomes have dual feed, and I think Berninas do too.

vicki75 02-15-2010 04:35 PM

I love my Babylock Quest!

Olivia's Grammy 02-15-2010 04:44 PM

The Janome 6600 has the dual feed dogs. It's called something else. I just bought one on Friday. I played with it for a few hours. I think I'm going to love it. It has a couple of nice features I was not expecting. One the pressure foot raises to it's hightest postion at about 3/4". No kidding. Also it has separate bobbin winder, meaning you can sew and wind the bobbin without unthreading the machine. On the bottem of the foot control it has some kind of surface that keeps the foot from sliding all over the wood floor. It also has some pretty and different decorative stitches. You can sew with cone threads without using the extra thread holder at the back. No, I am not trying to sell one, just what I found out bc I bought one.

littlehud 02-15-2010 07:12 PM

I got a Pfaff about five months ago and love it.

grammypatty7 02-15-2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ThePope
I'm looking to replace my husqvarna Quilter I with one that has dual feeds....which I think only Pfaff and now Baby Lock have ?
I was told just yesterday that the dual feed patent that Pfaff had has expired....so many machines to choose from.

Last fall I bought the new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and love it but since you've already owned a Viking, I highly recommend you also check out the Vikings. If they weren't so heavy, I'd still be using a Viking today. I had a Viking for 15 years and was injured resulting in a large mesh abdominal patch and am not allowed to lift anything over 35 lbs and my Viking was so heavy I couldn't even move it a little bit on my sewing desk. Pfaff is now made by Viking and the two machines are very similar but Pfaff is lighter weight with plastic or light weight parts where the Viking is heavier but has heavier steel parts. If you can afford the Viking, I 'd say get the Viking. My friends who own the Vikings love their machines and they don't end up in the shop as often as the Pfaff. I love my Pfaff but the 4.0 is too heavy for me to safely lift as I don't want to risk my patch. When I had to switch to a lighter weight machine, the store owners all told me that after owning a Viking I could NOT go back to American or lower priced machines as I'd never be satisfied. I bought a light weight Baby Lock to take to sewing classes and even the store owner was reluctant to sell it to me and many times emphasized that it woud NOT compare to my Viking or my Pfaff and he's very right on that. Once I get going on the Maria I do just fine but sewing on a Viking or Pfaff is such a joy. I've heard wonderful things about the Janome and the, darn can't think of the name now but it's expensive too. See what you have near you and find out what the service is like but if you were happy with your Viking, I'd sure check it out first. You don't have to buy until you've thoroughly researched and decided. Good luck.