Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing maching advice. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-maching-advice-t20129.html)

Kj05 05-14-2009 11:15 AM

My parents are buying a new sewing machine for me for my college graduation. They gave me a price range of $500-1000. There are two dealers in town, one that sells Janome and the other sells Viking, which oddly enough are the two companies I've narrowed my search down to.

Does anyone know where the Janome DC3050 or the Viking Emerald 183 is made? Any advice or suggestions?

Jim's Gem 05-14-2009 11:44 AM

Welcome to the board and Congratulations on your college graduation. My dd#3 is graduating on Saturday from Pt Loma. I think a sewing machine is a great gift and I would have gotten them for each of my 3 daughters as a college graduation if I thought they would use them. I don't know much about either brand, I have a Bernina. Though I have heard, on here, much good about the Janome's.

BellaBoo 05-14-2009 01:11 PM

Congratulations on finishing college! That's a great achievement. I would find out which of the two has the better trade in for upgrade later on. I think Janome and Viking are great machines as most all the newer ones are today. My girls didn't want a machine for any occasion and still don't. :?

Kj05 05-14-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Congratulations on a great accomplishment! Either machine is good- are you already a quilter?

Thanks! I have been off and on. More so when I lived in a house with a sewing machine. Although this last summer, for the first time, I completely pieced and quilted a quilt by hand - I was doing an internship far from home and didn't really have any friends in the area, so I had a lot of time.

Shemjo 05-14-2009 03:21 PM

Congratulations on your graduation and the wonderful choice of quilting as a hobby! I have an older Janome and am very happy with it. sorry, I can't answer your question. Can they be googled and researched that way? Can you call the shops and ask?
BTW, Hello and Welcome to the board from Missouri!

littlehud 05-14-2009 05:44 PM

Welcome from SW Iowa. Do you have the option of trying out the machines. That might help with your decision.

Kj05 05-14-2009 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Welcome from SW Iowa. Do you have the option of trying out the machines. That might help with your decision.

I have tried them both out, I went in to the two different dealers yesterday.

I'm from central Iowa by the way littlehud!

butterflywing 05-15-2009 01:04 PM

which one comes with lessons and a better warranty?

MadQuilter 05-15-2009 01:36 PM

First of all - congratulations!
Secondly, there are a few threads where people ask/write about what is important to them in a sewing machine. May be that can help you determine which machine to get. (In case your choices don't have matching features.) Other than that, I'd go with the feel of the machine and the feel of the supplier. Wherever you can get the better deal and the better support.

QuiltMania 05-16-2009 02:40 PM

Congrats. As I understand it, Viking is the US division of Husqvuarna (that's probably spelled wrong) which is a Swedish company. I think the Vikings are made in the US but I could be wrong. Don't know about Janome. My MIL always had Husqvuarnas and she never had any problems with anything they made.