Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing with OTT Lights fatiquing on eyes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-ott-lights-fatiquing-eyes-t92942.html)

kwendt 01-22-2011 06:18 PM

Hey all...

I usually end up sewing late at night, or at least puttering around in my sew room. Lately, I've discovered that my eyes hurt after a while. This doesn't happen to me elsewhere in the house, it's not because I'm watching my sewing machine for HOURS on end.... it happens all the time in that room, even when I'm moving from side to side, up from my chairs or down, reading, then sewing, then getting things out of the cabinets. Just happens...

My main overhead light is glass enclosed ceiling fan fixture, to which I've put the natural daylight, CFL bulbs...60watt x 3. Then I have area specific task lights (Otts) that I turn on when I'm using that area/machine in my room. My room is not 'dark', in fact it's quite bright with all that.

So two nights ago, I dragged a halogen torchere light into the room and turned it on (along with my others lights). Bingo... my eyes registered a marked 'color' difference in the roomlight... and I haven't found myself with aching eyes since i did that.

Do any of you use JUST natural daylight bulbs (OTT Lites and their similar counterparts, Natural CFLs) only? How do they work for you? Or do you find that you can 'tell' the color difference and need to 'mix' your lights to relieve eye strain?

It's really curious...

cathyvv 01-22-2011 06:22 PM

I use a combination of CFL and the old fashioned incandesence. My eyes get tired quickly, but that's because of the double vision, nearsightedness and astigmatism. I really have to work to see!

The bottom line is that you need use the best lighting for you.

happyscrappy 01-22-2011 06:24 PM

i always have an incandescent light on along with my OTT light. it helps the eyes.

Texasjunebug 01-22-2011 06:27 PM

In my 20x20 art and sewing studio I have 9 fixtures (3 bulbs each) natural daylight fluorescent bulbs. With no windows, I have perfect lighting night or day! Don't know how old you are, but when I was getting cataracts, the daylight bulbs showed all white as green. After surgery, the colors were perfect.

leatheflea 01-22-2011 06:53 PM

Well I'll be darned, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the heads up, might take care of my headaches, changing bulbs ASAP.

117becca 01-22-2011 07:00 PM

i don't like the light that the CFLs put out...My BigLots version of the Ott Light is fine - but the rest of the room has GE Reveal bulbs.

I'm looking forward to LED bulbs becoming more affordable -

feffertim 01-22-2011 07:04 PM

The little bright lite that goes on the side of my machine is a life (and eye) saver to me. The light is so bright and you can shine it exactly where you want, right on your stitches. Try it.

kwendt 01-22-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
The little bright lite that goes on the side of my machine is a life (and eye) saver to me. The light is so bright and you can shine it exactly where you want, right on your stitches. Try it.

I have one of those too... it's great. Sometimes in the way, but mostly great!

Jill 01-22-2011 08:13 PM

I sew late at night too but have never had eye problems. I have astigmatism, and am near and far-sighted (one eye is near and one is far). I have to wear my glasses for everything but using the computer. I have an OTT light near my sewing machine and a faux OTT light over my cutting area. I do have a mixture of bulbs in the room so maybe that is what is helping me. I have an overhead light/fan that I never use. I do not like overhead lights like that. I would like to add some halogen lights, as I prefer them over everything else.

Izaquilter 01-22-2011 08:22 PM

I have one of those Big Lots lights & love them. I like them better than Otts. I have 2 ott lights sitting in there unused. But my other swing arm lamp has a day light bulb in it & that helps me out alot too.