Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-question-t170571.html)

Cdrlinda 12-01-2011 02:14 PM

Sewing question

I am relatively new to sewing. I am covering some pillow forms for my son's sofa. The forms are 18 inches square. How big should I cut the fabric to allow for the poof of the pillow? Is it ok to use 1/4 inch seams? Thanks in advance!

Thumbelina 12-01-2011 02:38 PM

If the pillow is 18" square, I would cut it 19", and use at least a 1/2" seam allowance if not 5/8". Good luck, hope this was some help to you.

MissQuilter 12-01-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cdrlinda (Post 4740700)
I am relatively new to sewing. I am covering some pillow forms for my son's sofa. The forms are 18 inches square. How big should I cut the fabric to allow for the poof of the pillow? Is it ok to use 1/4 inch seams? Thanks in advance!

I think for a cushion, I might use a slightly larger seam as in regular garment sewing. That would be a 5/8 inch seam. I might start out by cutting the square out an inch or so bigger than the cushion, but you might have to adjust a bit when you see how it fits. You can always baste with a larger stitch, then try it, and sew again with a regular stitch. If you want it to be removable, you can either put a zipper in the back or you can make an envelope back so the cushion cover will slip off for washing. You should be able to find instructions for that on the internet if you search for maybe envelope back for pillow or something. Good luck!

eparys 12-01-2011 02:41 PM

Actually - if the pillow is 18", I would make the covers just a bit smaller so that the pillow fills the cover completely and yes I use 1/4" seams.

ghostrider 12-01-2011 03:05 PM

For knife edge pillows that are sewn shut, I cut my fabric 1" larger than the pillow form and use a 5/8" seam. That way the "finished size" of the cover is actually 1/4" smaller than the insert size so it is plump without being stressed at the seams. I also taper the corner seams slightly to avoid pointy ears at the corners...hate those. You will need to cut extra fabric if you are making removable covers.

Petey 12-01-2011 03:18 PM

Thanks ghostrider - always wanted to know how to do this properly.

deemail 12-01-2011 06:00 PM

the standard size pillow form is 14" and that is so you can use a 12" pc of fabric or 12" quilt block.... it is meant to really 'stuff' the corners well and make the pillow 'poof'.... the 12 block would of course be the finished size...cut at 12.5 for 1/4" seams or 13 for 1/2" seams...I only mention this to demonstrate that if I was covering an 18" pillow form, i would use a 16" cover.... if these are foam...trim off the sharp corners with your scissors, they will look much better in the covers... just snip at a 45 deg angle to 'soften' the edges... if they are 'filled' forms...you're all set...

mighty 12-01-2011 06:15 PM

I totally agree with ghostrider, this is the way I would do it.

deemail 12-01-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by deemail (Post 4741455)
the standard size pillow form is 14" and that is so you can use a 12" pc of fabric or 12" quilt block.... it is meant to really 'stuff' the corners well and make the pillow 'poof'.... the 12 block would of course be the finished size...cut at 12.5 for 1/4" seams or 13 for 1/2" seams...I only mention this to demonstrate that if I was covering an 18" pillow form, i would use a 16" cover.... if these are foam...trim off the sharp corners with your scissors, they will look much better in the covers... just snip at a 45 deg angle to 'soften' the edges... if they are 'filled' forms...you're all set...

I just read this again....are these new cushions or pillows...if cushions, then of course, cut the cushion size plus 2 seams and then wrap the forms in upholstery batting or 2 layers of quilt batting in a pinch, the batting fills in all the corners beautifully and makes them look professional. don't skimp on the size of the zipper...longer makes it easier to insert the cushion form...i also wrap the batting wrapped cushion in a long strip of saran wrap or a garbage bag (with sides slit)...then after inserting in the cover, pull one side of the plastic and the whole thing will come out... ready to use on the next cushion...this doesn't sound necessary till you try to slide fabric over the cushion and it grabs...

lalaland 12-01-2011 07:03 PM

Good instructions on this website.

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...lopepillow.htm