Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Room Debate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-room-debate-t33484.html)

LovingIzabella 01-07-2010 11:05 AM

Okay ladies and gents!
I have a dilemma and would love some feedback. When hubby and I first bought our home my sewing room was one of the bedrooms. I then moved it down to the basement after hubby finished everything but the celilings. Well we had a bit of an issue with water after having 14 days of straight ran and some of the fabric became ummm shall we say mildewy smell so away it had to go. I since moved back up to the bedroom (which I am currently trying to organize and get in order) but hubby has also gotten the water issue fixed. Our basement has been dry (knock on really thick wood) for over 2 years now. The people who owned the house prior to us never had the gutters done correctly so the water poured down the back of the house and sat against the foundation. We repiped the gutters and put in an outdoor subterrain water pump that leads into the gutter drain which pumps out to the front of the house..anyways I digress. Hubby just told me if I wanted to go back downstairs I could have that space back. The bedroom is about 10 x 10 the area that is available to me in the basement is about 14x20. Where would you make your final sewing cave?
Hugs
April

sewjoyce 01-07-2010 11:08 AM

I definitely would go into the larger area. Invest in some plastic tubs for your stash -- will keep it clean, bug free and DRY!! :D

cricket_iscute 01-07-2010 11:11 AM

I'd go to the larger area IF it had good lighting and heat and a good electrical supply. Use wire shelves and/or Rubbermaid or other plastic bins to hold fabric, and keep stuff off the floor unless protected, just in case.

Cricket

bebe 01-07-2010 11:11 AM

the basement bigger place and less noise!!!!

Marjpf 01-07-2010 11:11 AM

The chance for a larger space? I'd move! Unfortunately we don't have many houses with basements in California, and my husband grabbed the garage first!

LovingIzabella 01-07-2010 11:34 AM

Thank you for the input! I want to go back down there but that means moving..again :-( But it is bigger space and it is fairly quiet and it is nice and cool in the summer. It has great electricity and heat (the basement has its own zone for heating so I can set it to whatever I want when I'm down there)
Perhaps I will look at it again tonight and see...
Hugs
April

kwhite 01-07-2010 11:40 AM

Prime opportunity to Clean, Clear and Declutter. Go south young quilter!!!!

kluedesigns 01-07-2010 11:41 AM

i'd jump on that basement. store the fabric in bins.

Sugarpumpkin 01-07-2010 11:46 AM

I agree with everyone else...Downstairs!!!!!

And like K said, this gives you the chance to go through everyone and set it up the way you want :)

lfw045 01-07-2010 11:58 AM

Get a DryRid hanger and hang it up down there too....just in case there is any residual moisture. It smells good too.