Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing the sash and cornerstones (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-sash-cornerstones-t106173.html)

huggabug123 03-08-2011 07:30 PM

I am working on sewing my sandwiched quilt together. My sashing is a very deep burgundy color and the cornerstones are a very light beige color. I am stitching along the sashing using a thread color that is the same burgundy color as the sashing. When I get to the lighter cornerstones, do I change the color of thread or do I keep going in one solid straight line the entire length of the row? If I sew along the cornerstone I am going to end up with some burgundy thread showing on the beige fabric, is this okay? Thank you everyone for your assistance. Happy Quilting.

~Carol~

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-08-2011 07:32 PM

Most people allow the quilting to show.

BETTY62 03-08-2011 07:38 PM

Thank you for asking. I had the same question. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Kas 03-08-2011 09:08 PM

Take some of the scraps, piece them however they fit, and then make a mini quilt sandwich. Quilt with the thread you are thinking of using in the big quilt to see how it looks. I always try to do the sample in the same fabrics as my quilt top so I am sure I like the thread or tension. Please show us when you have decided!

huggabug123 03-08-2011 09:34 PM

I decided to go ahead and use the darker thread and stitched a straight line straight from top to bottom catching both sashing and cornerstones in the same color. It actually doesn't look all that bad ~ well, except for the wobbles in my line, lol. I have never actually stitched a sandwich so my lines are a bit wobbly every now and again. I will try to post a picture tomorrow of what I am working on. Thank you for your assistance.

SueDor 03-09-2011 04:43 AM

I don't change threads!

CompulsiveQuilter 03-09-2011 04:57 AM

That dilemma is exactly why I use invisible thread when stitching in the ditch. Wobbles, of course, and changes in color everywhere in my scrap quilts. Don't know if it's the "quilt police" way, but I like the finished product better.

milp04 03-09-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
Thank you for asking. I had the same question. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

What about using a variegated thread? If not for this quilt, then an idea to keep in mind for future projects.

Pam M

Iluv2quilt 03-09-2011 05:08 AM

I think the darker color would look nice framing the beige.

sherriequilts 03-09-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by huggabug123
I am working on sewing my sandwiched quilt together. My sashing is a very deep burgundy color and the cornerstones are a very light beige color. I am stitching along the sashing using a thread color that is the same burgundy color as the sashing. When I get to the lighter cornerstones, do I change the color of thread or do I keep going in one solid straight line the entire length of the row? If I sew along the cornerstone I am going to end up with some burgundy thread showing on the beige fabric, is this okay? Thank you everyone for your assistance. Happy Quilting.

~Carol~

Is this the seam you are talking about or topstitching? Still, I think I would use the burgundy either way. Love to see your quilt and what you decide.