Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing scrap strips to PAPER (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-scrap-strips-paper-t114984.html)

BrendaY 04-10-2011 08:28 PM

Thanks, Ladies, for all the clever ideas for foundation papers. I do lots of paper piecing and my pattern is printed out on the paper, so I do purchase the stuff from my local quilt shop. Is there a better way that will still go through my printer?

grammydar 04-11-2011 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by rn2639
LOL...i wish they made square filters...i dont sew round stuff ha ha

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Don't forget coffee filters for nice round shapes. They tear easily too, at least mine do. I got 160 for $1 at the dollar store.

I hope you are joking there! Fill the circle, make it square. Using coffee filters is awesome.

Do you leave the filters in then? They don't fall apart later?

rn2639 04-11-2011 03:07 AM

Grammy

you tear it off
they said tighten your stitch length and use a 14or 15 needle and the paper will come off very easy.

rn2639 04-11-2011 03:09 AM

Ohhhhhhh I seee what your talking about.
Im gonna cover the filter anyway and square my strip set up anyway after Im finished with them.....(all 150 of them!!!)

GREAT idea.
GREAT GREAT IDEA--------this forum is awesome!

Love chatting with yall!!!!
Is there a show N tell forum????

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by rn2639
LOL...i wish they made square filters...i dont sew round stuff ha ha

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Don't forget coffee filters for nice round shapes. They tear easily too, at least mine do. I got 160 for $1 at the dollar store.

I hope you are joking there! Fill the circle, make it square. Using coffee filters is awesome.

Derla 04-11-2011 03:20 AM

In my browsing one morning, I came across a quilters blog (did I save the URL? no)and she was experimenting using flattened coffee filters. I've been trying the same with my scraps and am really impressed at the variety and colorfulness of each circular block. I think I may applique the circle blocks on some black fabric to pop out the colors.

rn2639 04-11-2011 03:37 AM

Well my buddy here said that she uses the filters for a base but the end result can be square....in my case.....

it doesnt have to be circular.
Im gonna try it out right now...then pick up a pack of filters today if I like it!

Happy MONDAY!!!
and Happy Stitching

Laurie

Originally Posted by Derla
In my browsing one morning, I came across a quilters blog (did I save the URL? no)and she was experimenting using flattened coffee filters. I've been trying the same with my scraps and am really impressed at the variety and colorfulness of each circular block. I think I may applique the circle blocks on some black fabric to pop out the colors.

Derla 04-11-2011 03:56 AM

In my closet, I have a large roll of paper (originally it was for the grandkids to color on but they have outgrown that phase) I had never thought of using it in quilting - but guess what it's purpose is now - and I'll bet it will get used up, finally

tweezy50 04-11-2011 03:57 AM

I use the sheets of packing paper that sometimes come in the fabric boxes that I order. It's newsprint and after I iron it, works well!

Blinky 04-11-2011 04:00 AM

Love reading all your ideas....and the coffee filter idea sounds great! Will have to give that a try!

cjaye44 04-11-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by kso
You can go to your local newspaper and buy a partial roll of newsprint. Very economical.

That's what I'm using now. I bought two rolls when I was getting ready to move and used it for wrapping. As I unpacked I stacked the pieces of paper....then when I was ready to PP I just pressed the paper and was off to the races. BTW, I learned that newsprint comes in different weights....one of my rolls was much heavier and stiffer than the other.