Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing sideways (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-sideways-t284107.html)

MadQuilter 11-29-2016 12:16 PM

My Baby Lock has that feature and I have never used it.

luvspaper 11-29-2016 04:57 PM

My HQ Sweet Sixteen quilting machine which is turned needle in front to face me(with no feeddogs) has the possibility but honestly I find it very hard to think and to make the movement sideways. I am so very used to forward/backward (up/down), that I think it would be hard to retrain my brain. I do it sometimes if it is a very short seam, but otherwise I can't get it straight.

But I haven't seen in on an actual machine with feed dogs... Do you have to replace them depending on which way you want to move? Or at least manipulate them from one position to the other?

dc989 11-29-2016 10:47 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think it was a Viking machine. The question was prompted when I was stitching around applique stars on a quilt on my sewing machine. I did part of the quilting on my LA and did the in the ditch work on the sewing machine. I got really tired of turning the quilt around and remembered that machine. I wondered if you could keep the quilt stable and just change the sewing direction. Hope that makes sense. I wasn't free motion quilting because I make a mess of in the ditch in free motion.

madamekelly 11-30-2016 03:18 AM

My Brother NXQ60 Innova sews sideways. It make more sound when it does, but it does a beautiful job of it. I can program it to sew big loops while I manipulate the fabric when I quilt. So far I have used it to QAG because my neck and shoulders object to quilting large items, and create muscle spasms when I try. It has 150 different stitches that I can program to work in concert to create the quilting design. Love it.

fivepaws 11-30-2016 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by dc989 (Post 7708773)
When I was at Sew Expo last year I looked at a number of brands of sewing machines. One of them sewed both back to front and side to side. I can't seem to Goggle the right question to find it and can't remember which brand it was. Can anyone help me?

My Viking has directional stitching.

institches33 11-30-2016 06:32 AM

This is a great feature. I have a Bernina 880 and it has directional stitching by 1 degree increments.

KwiltyKahy 11-30-2016 07:33 AM

Several Brother models have directional sewing

Joanie2 11-30-2016 07:49 AM

My Babylock Aria has that feature. It can sew sideways as well as diagonally. I use it for sewing in tight spaces.

Wintersewer 11-30-2016 08:06 AM

Some Bernina and some Pfaff machines can sew sideways, with the operator facing the machine and with the feed dogs up, but it is only the TOLs that can do this. Apparently some other brands can also....I am not familiar with these.

salederer 11-30-2016 08:12 AM

My Babylock Journey has directional sewing. Great for hard to reach areas when mending or altering.