Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing studio flooring question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-studio-flooring-question-t279786.html)

Bren 06-22-2016 09:53 AM

I agree with Dunster regarding Pergo. We had it installed in the bedrooms, living and dining room last year and love it. All other areas are tiled--not one scrap of carpet, just area rugs. But we live in Texas where cold floors aren't so much of an issue.

I do like the suggestion of painted concrete. It's already there and I would think it would be more economical to hire professionals to do it rather than replacing it with something else.

JanBech 06-22-2016 10:52 AM

In my previous house my sewing studio was in the basement in the Midwest. I had carpet everywhere down there EXCEPT in my sewing area. That was a laminate that looked like tile. I loved it. Easy to roll my chair, easy to vacuum, easy to find things dropped, easy to keep clean.

ladydukes 06-22-2016 11:38 AM

I would never, ever recommend carpet for sewing room flooring. One thing you could do is stain your concrete floor. There's such beautiful stains available, and it is extremely inexpensive, compared to installing wood, laminate or ceramic tile. If you go online, you can view stained concrete flooring. Or, if you decide to spend more on flooring, plank tile (ceramic) that looks like wood is really nice.

In my great room, I have engineered hardwood flooring. It is very pretty, but it gets scuffed up (scratches). In other parts of the house, I have ceramic tile, and I really like it, except I am seriously thinking about staining the grout a darker color.

My sewing room and closet have carpet, but later this summer I'm going to remove it and either install laminate flooring or ceramic plank tile that looks like wood.

duckydo 06-22-2016 12:15 PM

There are new floor stains for concrete floors that are beautiful. Check them out. You could use rubber mats to stand on at your cutting table and longarm.

maryellen2u 06-22-2016 05:30 PM

I love my hardwood flooring. In another house I had lovely vinyl. My sister has radiant heat in her basement floor. I made my sewing room top class because that is where I spend most of my time!

ThreadHead 06-22-2016 06:01 PM

I had carpet, and had to rake the material up. I roll back and forth from my iron to sewing table, and you can't roll that well on carpet.

Mariposa 06-22-2016 06:23 PM

I'm one that likes the carpet in my sewing room. For warmth, and easier on my legs. I also don't care for the "echo" in rooms (or entire houses) with vinyl, tile or such. I do have a plastic mat under my chair, which works well.

bjdemir 06-22-2016 08:07 PM

I have kitchen carpet in my sewing room from the 1970's. Big mistake, the pins and needles weave their way into the carpet and very hard to get out. I hope to have it replaced with laminate soon!

Mary73162 06-23-2016 02:50 AM

Office supplies have the heavy plastic or vynal sheet used under desks for easy rolling....grips the carpet and lets the chair roll....solved my problem....

Fabaddict 06-23-2016 04:30 AM

the last house I lived in had carpet in my sewing room in the basement. I hated it, threads stuck to it, pins stuck in it, was horrible. My new house has pergo flooring on my cement floor, and I love it. I hear pins drop, dustmop takes care of threads and dust very well. Really is a lot easier to keep clean.
Jackey