Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing table size - Pros and Cons & Configuration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-table-size-pros-cons-configuration-t27484.html)

Quiltgranny 10-22-2009 10:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling to come up with the right size sewing table (on the cheap) and/or configuration for two smaller tables - in a smallish sewing room that's about 10 x 11. I have two sewing tables in here now, one is only 19.5" wide, the other 29.5" wide. I've tried using these tables each on a wall and butted up to each other so as to enlarge my table surface.

I would like to be able to have at least two sewing machines set up at all times for several reasons. I also have a 2 x 4' cutting table set up as well as my computer desk and 4 bookcases in this room, so space is somewhat limited. I use an over the door ironing board to save space.

Do you find that you can comfortably sew/quilt on the narrower width tables okay, or should I stick to leaving the tables butted together which leaves me much less room to walk around? It looks/feels cluttered this way, but gives me the larger space to spread out should I need to. Do I really need that space? I hear of folks putting out large quilts on teeny tiny sewing tables if need be - is it really that simple? Often, more table space just translates into more clutter space. Please help! I'd love to know what works for all of you out there. Thanks so much!

Happy quilting,

Up North 10-22-2009 11:04 AM

Your room is HUGE compared to mine 8x9' my sewing table is 20x48" I find it works for most things I do. Sometimes I get frustrated but for the most part it works, We do what we have to so I say whatever works for you. And yes table space is clutter space, at least for me. Everything ends up in my little space so I always am clearing off!!LOL

Rachel 10-22-2009 11:50 AM

I have a seweasy table. It wasn't cheap, but I really like it. It travels well and folds up for easy storage. They're $250, but I sold a quilt and used some of the profits to purchase it. I'm so glad I did, its perfect for retreats or just to use in my sewing room. I love it.

MollieSue 10-22-2009 12:17 PM

My first table was an old oak dining room table which I loved, but it fell apart. Then I went to two of those 4' white folding tables, which worked pretty good! Then I seen a 'craft table' on freecycle, which we ran up and got. It turned out to be half a pingpong table! lol!! I love the space, although I only actually sit at one end, but have my little tv on the kittycorner from me, and can have my material spread out. Stuff does accumulate, and it takes up almost half my room!

Sometimes I think about going back to my two 4' tables, just because the room was much more calming to be in, and I had more room to walk around. But the kitties always loved being on it too, which cut down on my space.

My dream table is a big old rectangular dining table!! And I keep looking on Craig's List, freecycle, etc for one. I think my room might be 12x12?

Quiltgranny 10-22-2009 12:19 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me. :) I agree, we work with what we have, so I'm planning on making what I have work - some way!

Quiltgranny 10-22-2009 12:21 PM

Hi Rachael,

Do you use this table at home to make your quilts on, or is it just for taking to classes, etc.?

Quiltgranny 10-22-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Sometimes I think about going back to my two 4' tables, just because the room was much more calming to be in, and I had more room to walk around.

Wow, you really hit the nail on the head! You said the "room was much more calming to be in.." That's IT, that's probably my biggest problem here. It so amazes me just how we ARE affected by our surroundings, by clutter, by things not being ergonomically friendly, too. By now, my DH and a few friends probably think I'm nuts because I keep moving these little tables around trying to achieve some "balance" - some calm, something that'll work for me. Gosh, is that so much to ask for? LOL

Hmm, well, I'll continue to weigh in all the responses and see if I can put together a "feel good" sewing room. :) Thanks so much!

Rachel 10-22-2009 03:57 PM

I don't use it all the time at home, but I have used it when I want to sew in front of the tv (I don't have a tv in my sewing room yet). I do take it to retreats every time. I have never tried to quilt on it, I think there would be a lot of drag, but its excellent to piece on. I expecially like it when I'm chain piecing because gravity pulls the chain over the edge instead of piling up behind my pressure foot. You can also get a separate insert (I think they're $40) to make it a light table instead of holding your sewing machine.

amma 10-22-2009 04:12 PM

My DB and I are kicking around an idea for a drop leaf table...
Half will be a regular table with an almost equally sized half that drops down out of the way when I don't need it. I want my sewing room more open until I am ready to need the additional sewing surface. I am thinking about putting countertopping on it, the surface would be nice and slick for moving a quilt around on.

Olivia's Grammy 10-22-2009 04:44 PM

[quote=MollieSue]
But the kitties always loved being on it too, which cut down on my space.quote]
My table is about 36x60 which allows me to use ready made mats. However as Mollie Sue said, kitties do cut down on the size. My cats, Reggie (17 1/2lbs) and Emmy (14lbs) get on it at the same time and try to lay in the center when I'm trying to cut. They do not like it when I make them move to the off side tables. The are so good at anchoring down my fabric!