Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-thread-t61989.html)

Marilyn1 08-29-2010 07:54 AM

I buy cone thread in many colors to sew with. I place the cone in a coffee cup next to my maching and thread the machine as usual. I can sew forever with out running out. I also wind several bobbins to have ready.

Pam 08-29-2010 08:43 AM

I do the same thing. I have been using a large cone of thread for 6 months, I thought it would last my life time, but it is nearly half gone! I prewind 8 bobbins, when those are empty I do it again. At next year's Paducah show I am planning on adding several more cones to my collection.

The current color is medium gray, I will add black and tan. I guess I might as well add a white one as well.

NancyG 08-29-2010 10:07 AM

Good idea. I had never thought of that. Thanks!

franie 08-29-2010 10:09 AM

I have a friend who uses an oatmeal box for her large cone thread. I love Connecting Threads large cones of thread!

Up North 08-29-2010 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My son made me a cone holder from a paper towel holder from dollar tree it works great!!

catrancher 08-29-2010 11:30 AM

Hm. I've been using cones for bobbin thread in black and white. Hadn't really thought about using it for the other stuff. Good idea. BTW, I got some rather inexpensive embroidery thread that has more breakage than the bigger brands. When I put it on my thread stand, I have a lot less trouble with it.

Holice 08-29-2010 11:45 AM

i have a friend from Canada who brings me thread and last time I must not have been thanking about the size of the cones. I ended up with a dozen cones with total of 105,000 yds of thread. But at $2.55 per cone how could one pass that up.

Annaquilts 08-29-2010 11:47 AM

I used to use cone thread but had some bobbin area issues with my Janome 6500 and was told it was because I used the cone thread. So now I use aurafil. Too pricey for me. The machine is a bit of a thread snob because it doesn't let me use Coats and Clark either while any other machine I own does. Waht is even more odd that some one else had the same bobbin area issues and was told it was because she needs to use cone thread. I might give it a shot again. Sure a lot easier and cheaper.

sahm4605 08-29-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Marilyn1
I buy cone thread in many colors to sew with. I place the cone in a coffee cup next to my maching and thread the machine as usual. I can sew forever with out running out. I also wind several bobbins to have ready.

how do you get the thread to go in right? I have a cone and I don't know how to get the tread go in right with out buying some sort of thread holder. Might get a paper towel holder like someone else posted.

texas granny 08-29-2010 01:17 PM

A friend of mine tried to use serger thread to quilt with on her long arm and it didn't work well. just a warning.