Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Tomato - Sewing Strawberry (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-tomato-sewing-strawberry-t288095.html)

Boston1954 05-08-2017 01:01 PM

Sewing Tomato - Sewing Strawberry

Just about anyone who sews has heard of and may even have the tomato/strawberry set. We know the tomato part is to hold the pins, and the strawberry is for sharpening.

However, no one has ever told me how many times to poke the pin into the strawberry to make it sharp again, or even if it works.

Do you bother, or just go buy new pins?

Jane Quilter 05-08-2017 01:08 PM

my pins bend before they ever need sharpening, I just bought a tomato today for my GD's new birthday sewing kit. It is a necessity when starting out. I always used the strawberry for needles.

ragamuffin 05-08-2017 01:09 PM

I just bought 2 different types of pins and mine are not sharp. I am really disappointed. For our quilt show coming up in Aug. 2017, I have made about 15 pin cushions with the English walnut crushed shells inside. I had to order it online from a pet store. But that is what is in the strawberry. I will put my pins in it, and use it. Every time you put the pin in, it will try to sharpen it. With continued use, they should all stay sharp. I made some out of denim, one of a kind patchwork pieces, other nice fabric, etc. I have to decorate them yet. On some, I put a little pocket for a thimble.

popover 05-08-2017 02:00 PM

The best strawberries have emery grit in them. THAT will help sharpen your pins.

QuiltnNan 05-08-2017 02:29 PM

i use the strawberry for my needles

Nammie to 7 05-08-2017 02:34 PM

My cats love to steal the tomatoes and chew on the strawberries - I think it cleans their teeth.

Anniedeb 05-08-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7820113)
Just about anyone who sews has heard of and may even have the tomato/strawberry set. We know the tomato part is to hold the pins, and the strawberry is for sharpening.

However, no one has ever told me how many times to poke the pin into the strawberry to make it sharp again, or even if it works.

Do you bother, or just go buy new pins?

Learn something new every day!! I did not know that....oops..cut it off!

Wonnie 05-08-2017 07:49 PM

Have to agree with you, Jane Quilter. Maybe it's just because I buy the thin 1 7/8" pins; they sure go through fabric smoothly but the teeniest bit of resistence and they bend all wonky. The tomato pincushion with the strawberry sharpener sure brings back memories. I only put my pins and needle in one time but, consider how many times you take them out and reinsert them in a day just in normal use.

IrishgalfromNJ 05-09-2017 02:21 AM

You can buy emery from ebay and amazon. I love it for my pin cushions. I also make pin cushions from 100% wool yarn.

luvstoquilt 05-09-2017 04:12 AM

I use the strawberry for needles too.