Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewline ceramic pencils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewline-ceramic-pencils-t128989.html)

M.I.Late 06-08-2011 03:01 PM

Can you mark a quilt for quilting - can't erase under the stitching... Any of it wash out - disappear or just erasable?

ghostrider 06-08-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Can you mark a quilt for quilting - can't erase under the stitching... Any of it wash out - disappear or just erasable?

Sewline comes out with water (also brushes off with a soft toothbrush when stitched over), don't know about the others.

sewnsewer2 06-08-2011 04:23 PM

I have one a friend sent me. I like it! I have the pink lead (if you will) and I heard the black doesn't come off.

thepolyparrot 06-08-2011 04:32 PM

I have all the Sewline colors, but like someone else said, I use mostly the pink and the white. I haven't noticed that any of the colors hang around after washing - even white on a dark red fabric. The mark is nice and fine and it stays on for a long time - it doesn't wear off easily like chalk pencils. :)

klc 06-08-2011 04:49 PM

I have the Sewline trio; black, white, and tracer point. I use the white all the time and love it!!!

the casual quilter 06-08-2011 06:57 PM

I've used them and they do work well for me. The lines stay sharp and the "leads" don't break easily. The eraser thing on the pencil portion does a good job of removing the markings when you want to get rid of the marks. And I do like that you can buy different colored "leads" and use the same pencil. They load like a mechanical pencil, and you just change out the "lead" if you need a different color. But on the downside, they are sooooo expensive. If I were to loose the pencil portion and have to rebuy it, I'm not sure that I could justify the expense. Just my opinion.

thepolyparrot 06-08-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
But on the downside, they are sooooo expensive. If I were to loose the pencil portion and have to rebuy it, I'm not sure that I could justify the expense. Just my opinion.

Oops, I forgot to say - I bought the Sewline brand pencils in white, pink and black but I bought the refills in all the other colors and I put them into cheapie .9mm mechanical pencils.

didi 06-09-2011 03:08 AM

Something new for me, will look into getting me one...you learn so much on this forum.

owlvamp 06-09-2011 03:14 AM

I'm going to have to check these out. Been wanting to get something.

Somerset Val 06-09-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by christina d
has anyone ever used sewline ceramic pencils for marking your quilts or for applique ?I would like toget one but wanted to know if it is worth it thanks for your advice

I always use them and they are great! They come in several different colours - I have a green one and a pink one - and, between the two of them, I can always see my marks whatever the fabric colour. I've never had need to remove the marks, although there is an adjustable eraser on the end.