Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewline Mechanical Pencil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewline-mechanical-pencil-t311578.html)

Railroadersbrat 06-30-2020 10:58 AM

Sewline Mechanical Pencil

I have been having a hard time lately getting my heat erasable pens to work correctly so I decided to give the Sewline Mechanical Pencil a try. I'm really impressed with how the white is performing, so I'm considering getting the pink and maybe one other darker color, but not sure if I should get the black, has anyone else used it?

I'm hoping to get my sisters DWR going late this summer, I'll be using Muslin (natural or ivory, can't decide which yet) for the background so just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start in on it.

Insight as always is appreciated, hoping everyone is having a great day!

tallchick 06-30-2020 01:03 PM

I bought a box of tailors chalk that has white yellow pink and blue and is shaped in a triangle, so far I have not encountered any issues with it not washing out. If you google Tailors Chalk several options come up in Amazon. As with all things, test it on your fabric before hand to make sure you don’t encounter any issues.
And don’t forget to post your DWR when done!

Tartan 06-30-2020 01:21 PM

I don’t know about that coloured chalk but be sure to test it first as some coloured chalk does not come out.

ckcowl 06-30-2020 01:51 PM

I also use Taylor’s chalk- it’s been used by Taylor’s- seamstresses for generations. It washes out, it’s smooth and I have a sharpener for mine that keeps a nice sharp point. I also use a Sewline mechanical pencil. It works well and I’ve not had problems with white, pink, blue or black leads washing out.

greensleeves 06-30-2020 02:14 PM

I also like the sewline pencils but have only used them to mark the wrong side of fabric. I've used both the white and black and on the wrong side its great. Don't know how well they work if you are marking on the right side. Not sure about getting it to erase completely. As suggested, whatever you use, test on a scrap first.

jacqueck 07-01-2020 02:15 AM

I do a lot of hand embroidery and use the Sewline pencil to trace my pattern. Also use it to draw my quilting lines. Washes right out when I launder the quilts. I don't have a problem with the "lead" breaking either as I draw. Also have great success using Crayola Washable pens, fine point

aashley333 07-01-2020 03:55 AM

Could I just buy the replacement leads and use in my mechanical pencil?

cindi 07-01-2020 04:03 AM

I use the Sewline pencil all the time. My favorite color is green - it shows up on nearly all fabrics well (except green, of course!) and has always washed out well.

eparys 07-01-2020 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8398151)

I have read that they can be used in any 0.9mm Mechanical Pencil. Disclaimer here .... I have never tried it, as when they first cam out, I bought a white and green before I learned this. Just make sure it is 0.9 and you should be good to go.

I love these pencils - I've used them for years. I generally use them on the wrong side for piecing but have occasionally used them on the right side and have either used the attached eraser or a damp cloth to remove them.

QuiltE 07-01-2020 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8398151)

Yes ..... so long as your mechanical pencil holds the same size of lead.